Wood Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
For those in need of wood, you might want to check out IRS Auctions:

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_lots.asp?pg=details&id=14878

I think I have seen this website mentioned on this forum earlier. I have no connection to the company, I just happened upon the auctions. The link takes you to auctions for wood available in Greensboro. Some of their lots includes Southern Yellow Pine, Cherry, White Oak, White Pine, Alder, Ash, Mahogany, Spanish Cedar, and some plywood. Currently, no bid is close to $1.00 bf. I have previewed the wood and it is in too large a quantity for me to use. Also, most of it is 6/4 or larger. I hope someone can get a good deal and create some amazing projects.

gfernandez

Gonzalo
Corporate Member
My experience with these type of auctions is that the current bids were put there by the auction company as a starting point. Nobody has really begun to bid on them yet. Most of these lots will go for much higher as the bidding escalates, especially as you get closer to the 28th. Having said this, if there are 1 or 2 that are interesting to you, there is a good chance to get them for a decent price.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
OK, I'll bite - I bought a lot of cherry plywood thru IRS a few years back, and was happy,
so now I'm the high bidder (for now) on lot

Lot #82 - Select and Better Cherry RGH Lumber (Approx. 600 bd ft)

It's a little more than I'll use in the near future, but may wind up as a good deal if my final bid isn't too high... and don't forget the 10% buyer's premium. I'll find out 7/28

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
OK, I'll bite - I bought a lot of cherry plywood thru IRS a few years back, and was happy,
so now I'm the high bidder (for now) on lot

Lot #82 - Select and Better Cherry RGH Lumber (Approx. 600 bd ft)

It's a little more than I'll use in the near future, but may wind up as a good deal if my final bid isn't too high... and don't forget the 10% buyer's premium. I'll find out 7/28

Larry, if you end up getting this lot, and it's more than you want to keep, let us know. I went w/ Steve to look at the wood, and while it looks good, the quantities are more than I can handle, especially in 6/4. But I could use a smaller amount, if you decide to sell some of it.

Bill

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Mike,

I did not ask about the certificate of insurance when we visited the company, because it is an IRS auction requirement on items "non-hand carriable". I assumed that this meant if you were moving large pieces of equipment, you would need it, but if you could load the wood without any mechanical assistance, then you would be OK. If you are serious about bidding, you probably want to make a telephone call to IRS to seek clarification.

lspooz

Larry
Corporate Member
Larry, if you end up getting this lot, and it's more than you want to keep, let us know. I went w/ Steve to look at the wood, and while it looks good, the quantities are more than I can handle, especially in 6/4. But I could use a smaller amount, if you decide to sell some of it.

Bill

Well, I wimped out with a max bid of $1051 (would've been a good deal, but other bidders went at $1100 and I couldn't swing going over ~$1250 w-bidder fees/tax/renting a trailer and still keep the LOML happy...)

Maybe next time

Or maybe if I really NEEDED more wood...

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Larry,

Sorry you missed out. I did not bid on anything because most of the lots were too large for me to accommodate and most of the wood was not 4/4. It looks like someone got some good deals when you consider the per bf price.

Steve

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Well, I wimped out with a max bid of $1051 (would've been a good deal, but other bidders went at $1100 and I couldn't swing going over ~$1250 w-bidder fees/tax/renting a trailer and still keep the LOML happy...)

Maybe next time

Or maybe if I really NEEDED more wood...

Thanks for letting us know how it went. I figured the bidding would take off as it got closer to the cut-off. Like Steve, the quantities were more than I could handle right now. But I could have saved you the trailer rental. Anytime you need a truck, let me know. I'm usually available to help.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS