Wipe on Poly

Status
Not open for further replies.

norm932

New User
norm
I'm refinishing some old cabinets. I thought about using a wipe on poly over a gel stain. Wondering if anyone had a prefered brand and any tips on the application.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My preferred brand is MinWax gloss poly thinned about 30-50% with MS. I wipe it on ;) Start at the top on vertical surfaces. I use old tee-shirt material to wipe with.
Dave:)

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I like Minwax too. You can buy Minwax wipe-on poly, but it appears this is nothing but normal poly thinned as Dave described. Thinning it yourself will save you a couple of bucks.

5Etek-mike

New User
Michael Lemings
Carefully consider which sheen (satin, semi-gloss, or high-gloss) best matches the project being finished. Although I normally prefer a semi or high gloss sheen when applying a topcoat of poly (especially for dressers, chests, and table and desk tops), I was very suprised and pleased after selecting a SATIN sheen poly while recently refinishing an antique cedar wardrobe (Minwax water-based clear satin polycrylic). Using the same techique as applying regular wipe-on poly, the satin sheen gave the wardrobe a much softer overall appearance, versus having a strong glare from a semi or high gloss sheen. It obviously depends on the project and personal preference, and the poly provides excellent protection for the wood's surface.

Good Luck with refinishing the cabinets!:icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS