WIP - Built-in bookshelf

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
WIP - a built-in bookshelf. This replaces a studs-and-drywall halfwall overlooking the foyer.

Still have some touchup painting left and the top to install.

On reflection, I should have made it a little narrower as it feels like it crowds the hallway a bit. :eusa_doh:

-Mark

Built-in_bookcase_WIP_640x480.jpg

Back of bookshelf (taken from stairs next to foyer)

Built-in_bookcase_front_WIP_640x480.jpg

Front of bookshelf

M

McRabbet

Very nice looking built-in -- I like the way you used two raised panels for the ends and multiples of same on the back. Very classy project that looks like it belongs there.

Rob

T

toolferone

Great use of space! Looking really nice. Pleasce post the finished pics and some construction details too.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful work, Mark! I too really like the raised panel look!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Nice detail on the faceframe - beading on the verticals and curves to on top.

Would like to hear about the construction details too.

Thanks for the pics,

Wayne

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Mark that is beautiful work :icon_thum The raised panels make the piece look like it has always been there. I would also like to see some more pictures and get some construction details. Thanks for sharing :eusa_clap

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
That is a very nice built in. The "crowding" feeling is probably a residual effect you will get used to after you have it in place for awhile. If you are like me, you never have enough space for books.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Mike, it looks as if it was built with the house. Great attention to detail :icon_thum

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Wow, that looks very nice! I like it from both the front and the back. Great design! :icon_thum

Chuck

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
For those that asked, the bookshelf is about 74"x 16" x 42" tall.

It is very deep for a 'proper' bookcase, but we have some large pieces of pottery and other large irregular pieces that might find a home here.

Construction was basic carcass joinery: dados and rabbets. The frame and panels are, well, traditional frame and panels. Some of you might have seen this earlier shot:

Bookcase_back_640_480.jpg

Never fear - only the f&p are MDF. The rest is shop-grade hardwood plywood and poplar.

I have to compliment Wayne (Canuck) on his excellent eyesight - it is very hard to see the beaded pillasters in the pictures !

I'll post a completed project picture at some point. Thanks for looking.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS