Will CA finish stand up for kitchen knife handles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I am making a set of kitchen knives - actaully I am attaching handles to blade blanks that I bought. I have used IPE and expect that this will wear quite well, even without a finish.

But since cyano-acrylate is used as a finish on pens, I was wondering whether this type of finish might be expected to hold up to use on a kitchen knife. I expect knives might be used more than some pens at least, and with more mess, as well as being subject to more soap and water for cleaning.

Do you think CA would stand up - or would I be better off just using mineral oil when they look dry (like on cutting boards)?

Thanks, Henry

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well, a CA finish is like coating the wood in plastic, I think that it would hold up to whatever you can throw against it. I would be concerned a little about the ease of application of CA to something not on a lathe, and getting it to it's final appearance.
The only reason that mineral oil is used for cutting boards is due to the cutting damage of knives that would ruin a film finish, and the perceived safety of it.
All finishes are non-toxic once fully cured
I would think that you could do quite well with a poly finish, seeing as the handles won't get sliced up, and it is a very durable finish, that would be easier to apply to a surface that you can't spin on a lathe.
MTCW, YMMV,
Dave:)

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I agree with everything Dave said...I might add that you may want to consider if you are going to put the knife in the dishwasher....I'm not so sure how that CA would do with that high water temp...especially over continued washings...just something to ponder as I've never washed my pens :eusa_thin haha

Chris

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
One thing I don't recommend is soaking the handles in Mineral Oil.

Sure, it seemed like a good idea at the time.......

Now when I grab the knife, my hands are all oily. I suspect it will never come out.

Jim

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Thanks - good answers! Re: Will CA finish stand up for kitchen knife handles?

You know, I just had not considered many of the aspects raised in these responses - that's why this is a great place!

I was going to try soaking one handle in mineral oil - but now I think I will forget that idea. Maybe BLO and Poly is the right way to go. I will likely try some of that on one and see what I think.

Thanks,
Henry

JohnW

New User
John
Henry,
Another option would be to use Tru Oil. It is often used on gun stocks and is very durable. Tru Oil is a blend (don't know exactly what) but seems to be a mix of BLO & varnish so it would be similar to what Mike suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS