Why can't you buy / why don't they make.....

BKHam

Bradley
User
Vertical Belt sanders wider than 6 inches? I've had a 12 inch disc sander which functions much the same but effectively is only 6 inches wide, when using in combo with the table. the circular motion has its disadvantages at times.

I have an edge sander, also 6 inches wide. in general this machine is more dangerous than the disc sander, takes up much more room and is not that much more useful.

what i need is a vertical sander that is wider than 6 inches. I want the benefit of the sander's action pulling the work piece down to the table, much like a band saw or the disc sander. But i don't have the circular motion of the disc sander.

why is this not a thing?

Woodmolds

Tony
User
Vertical Belt sanders wider than 6 inches? I've had a 12 inch disc sander which functions much the same but effectively is only 6 inches wide, when using in combo with the table. the circular motion has its disadvantages at times.

I have an edge sander, also 6 inches wide. in general this machine is more dangerous than the disc sander, takes up much more room and is not that much more useful.

what i need is a vertical sander that is wider than 6 inches. I want the benefit of the sander's action pulling the work piece down to the table, much like a band saw or the disc sander. But i don't have the circular motion of the disc sander.

why is this not a thing?
Seek and ye shall find.

BKHam

Bradley
User
Seek and ye shall find.

pretty cool looking machine. wish there was a stepping stone from the 6 inch before you go all the way to this price point.

dpsnyder

New User
Dan
Have you checked YouTube for diy ideas to build a belt sander. Some great builds that could likely be adapted to a wider Klingspor belt.

Matthias Wandel -

Someone else built a unit for their lathe,, ingenius -

Now to add an oscillating feature to it. :)
Wait maybe modify this diy oscillating edge sander to a wider vertical oscillating belt sander -

Possibilities are endless...
Dan

Last edited:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
you can find some old cast iron wide vertical sanders. google drawer sanders they are out there as well.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
you can find some old cast iron wide vertical sanders. google drawer sanders they are out there as well.

I remember those drawer sanders. Because of the sharp 90º bend, I often wonder how long modern belts last. That taped bumpy belt joint can't last but so long.

BKHam

Bradley
User
I've done a little research on the youtube versions, still sorting thru. many of them are powered by drills which isn't really ideal.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS