Who I am

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
I'm starting to get back into woodworking after a break of about 30 years. My Dad was a woodworker who specilaized in clocks of all kinds - grandfather, mantel, wall clocks. Working for the railroad, he knew a lot of people all over the southeast and made clocks for many of them. I helped him and learned a lot as he helped me set up a small shop in my basement where I made a few clocks and other projects myself.

Our kids came along and my Dad died back in '84 - a combination of events that resulted in my putting my woodworking on hold. Now that the kids are grown I'm trying to get back into it, relearn what little skill I had previously, and get my shop set up in preparation for retirement using a combination of my old tools, Dad's old tools and some new (to me) a PM2000 table saw and PM 8"jointer.

I'm trying to be patient and set things up with accuracy a priority, but a combination of lost skills and self instruction is provig a challenge - especially with the jointer which seems to be the source of most of my frustration "downstream" - squaring, assembly, gluing, etc.

I hope to develop the skills and accuracy to be able to make some cabinets, small furniture and other projects for the wife and kids and have some certainty thety are going to turn out square and true - and not have to constantly compensate or apologize for poor fit and workmanship. So far progress is slow. Wish I had my Dad around to answer some of these questions I'm running in to.

Looking forward to continuing to learn from the many nice folks at NCWW.

Tim Deal
Salisbury

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Welcome to the dust pile. Sounds like you've got a good start on a nice shop. There are several of us in the Salisbury, Concord, Kanappolis area and most are very willing to help. Look forward to seeing your projects, we love pictures around here. :gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors