Who can buy raffle tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I know that that at least some staff can not buy raffle tickets, can someone give me the definitive list?

For instance, BOD Admins ??

ehpoole

Ethan
Thanks, Steve, that is a question I was pondering as well.

We don't want to turn away money, but was also want to preserve the perceived integrity of the process.

My thoughts are that, at the very least, the "Roll Holder" should probably be excluded (no offense to whomever takes on the "Roll" -- pun partially intended). The same can probably be said for whomever will take on the task of picking the winners at the picnic.

I guess the next question comes to whether, per the revised Raffle rules Steve was kind enough to write up for us, are admins in a position to "adversely influence" the outcome of the raffle. If we are then we should probably be included in the ban (as much as I would like to participate). If we are not in a position to influence the outcome then the decision should be based on distilling a sense of trust in our members.

As a general rule in such contests, the Board is typically expempted from participation since they not only supervise the process but are also the arbiters in the event of a dispute or (God forbid) incident relating to the raffle.

Above all else, transparency is the most critical element of all. We don't ever want to damage the sense of trust our membership has placed in us. All it takes is a single doubter to begin tarnishing our image, so we most definitely wish to convey a sense of personal duty in insuring the fairness of the process for all members.

I am most interested in other's thoughts as well. I will support whatever the conscensus is on this matter.

cskipper

Cathy
I know the board is not allowed to participate, admins and roll-holder make sense. I will look, but I am not sure where it is written.

cskipper

Cathy
I believe this would fall under conflict of interest. That's the only thing I see that even hints at this issue. Maybe one of the more senior board or past board members can help with this discussion.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
In the past few years only the BoD could not buy them. As Cathy said it was due to potential conflict of interest questions. In the past the staff and mods had no role in issuing the actual ticket numbers so they were allowed to play.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
In the past few years only the BoD could not buy them. As Cathy said it was due to potential conflict of interest questions. In the past the staff and mods had no role in issuing the actual ticket numbers so they were allowed to play.

Scott is correct in his statement. The only members that could not participate were BOD members.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Let me clarify my statement. In the past only three BoD members had an active role in the raffle. Rob (the VP) who was in charge of it, Joe (the treasurer) who collected the funds, and me (the events director) who held the actual roll of ticket stubs. The BoD decided to exclude all the BoD members just in case someone had to fill in for the other three and also because of the fact the general membership would have no idea on who actually had what role in the raffle (potential conflict of interest).

M

McRabbet

Scott is correct, the BoD has been excluded from purchasing raffle tickets -- the exclusion list has always been part of the Raffle Rules (see this Fall 2011 one in the Downloads Library), so it has been documented. I will include this in the Rules again this Spring and in the write-up I will be doing for Steve's process.

I do not think we need to exclude other Admins as long as they remain honest and pay for their tickets!:)

ehpoole

Ethan
Rather than placing the rules in the download area, would it not make more sense to move them to the Article area, filed under the Policy section?

From there the rules can be amended, if needed, for each raffle.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Rather than placing the rules in the download area, would it not make more sense to move them to the Article area, filed under the Policy section?

From there the rules can be amended, if needed, for each raffle.

All of stuff like needs to be move into CMS.

M

McRabbet

I would be happy to publish an article with the Rules but I'd like to wait until the day the Raffle kicks off. Do you think the Raffle Announcement itself should also be an article? I found the "wee" Create box above the Menu to the right of previous articles and assume that is where one would start -- but then if I read correctly, it looks like the Article will be published after posting an entry in the Help forum. Is that correct? If the article is hidden from others until it is published, then I could start earlier.

The Raffle flyer is fairly complicated so it is carefully formatted in MS Word and then has been published in the past as a PDF document for the Download Library and as two one-page jpg images that will only get re-sized when posted as a thread. Like others, I don't want a steep learning curve on the day we plan to announce our largest source of funds, so my preference is to keep the actual Announcement in the "Staff Announcements" forum as we did last fall.

ehpoole

Ethan
Rob, Article posting is a two step process. First you author the Article and submit it. The Article must then be reviewed and "approved". Until the Article is approved it remains hidden from the general population (only staff, admins, BoD, and original author can view an unapproved 'hidden' Article). So feel free to begin authoring the Article at your leisure.

The "create" box in the upper right-hand corner of the Articles/CMS section is the correct method for creating a new Article. You will be a little overwhelmed with all of the options on the right-hand side of your screen, so just know you can leave them at their defaults -- with the exception that you should assign the Article a "Section" of "Policy". Steve, myself, or any other admin, can review your article once you submit. One word of warning, however, if you choose to Paste from Word, use the Editor icon in the upper left-hand corner of the Editor that activates the "Paste from Word" mode instead of doing a straight Paste -- a straight paste (e.g. CTRL+V) from Word will result in a loss of line breaks which will cause all your paragraphs to run together (which is most confusing to the reader). It will look alright in the Editor, but your formatting will get trashed after submission if you perform a normal Paste from Word.

As for how you distibute the flyer, I don't think that matters quite as much. The Articles (CMS) are pretty much permanent free-standing publications that exist for a matter of record. Even if we occassionally revise the Raffle Policy frome time to time, it remains more-or-less as valid between raffles as it is during, so it is a prime candidate for an Article -- that and it really is more of a "Policy" any how, so it should really be filed with all our other Policies so as to avoid confusion.

The actual flyer is only good for the duration of the Raffle and has no ongoing value upon the conclusion of the Raffle, so I don't feel as strongly about that one -- especially if it is easier for you to distribute as a PDF (I dare say must of us settle for viewing the images posted to the thread anyhow). Steve's opinion may differ here, but this is my sentiment on that question.

Nor do I see any issue with keeping the announcement in the Staff Announcements forum, as that seems entirely appropriate -- just as we have done in the past.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I would be happy to publish an article with the Rules but I'd like to wait until the day the Raffle kicks off. Do you think the Raffle Announcement itself should also be an article? I found the "wee" Create box above the Menu to the right of previous articles and assume that is where one would start -- but then if I read correctly, it looks like the Article will be published after posting an entry in the Help forum. Is that correct? If the article is hidden from others until it is published, then I could start earlier.

The Raffle flyer is fairly complicated so it is carefully formatted in MS Word and then has been published in the past as a PDF document for the Download Library and as two one-page jpg images that will only get re-sized when posted as a thread. Like others, I don't want a steep learning curve on the day we plan to announce our largest source of funds, so my preference is to keep the actual Announcement in the "Staff Announcements" forum as we did last fall.

You are correct about the article process. But BOD members have publishing rights, I think. But nobody but staff will see it until it is publish. I also think that things like announcement belong in the forums not the articles

M

McRabbet

I will prepare the Raffle Rules as an Article and the actual Raffle Announcement as a new thread in the Staff Announcements Forum. Special thanks to Ethan for his great explanation on how to do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS