Whittling on some ittty-bitty logs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
The Pittsboro Habitat for Humanity Resale store is expanding, and taking over the property next door. This property had a very old house, and some rather large oak trees. Unfortunately, some of the trees were diseased, so they needed to be removed.

No one involved wanted to see the wood wasted, and a friend heard about them and gave me a call.

The attached photo’s show the result of the call… The trunk section depicted in the photo with the chainsaw was the part that was 22’ in the air! I’m planning to mill some of these next week; the boards should be coming out of the kiln in a month or so.

Scott

Attachments

• Scott and six foot logv1.jpg
    Scott and six foot logv1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 191
  • Scott chainsawv1.jpg
    Scott chainsawv1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 181

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Scott, when are you going to quit playing with those toothpicks and work on some real lumber? I mean, that piece of oak might be nice for some inlay work, but getting a usable board could be tough.

You look as happy as pigs in mud wielding that chainsaw. :)

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff - it measures six feet five inches across the base of the log... The two logs on the trailer weigh over six tons... each!

There's over 2,800 board feet of lumber in those two logs.

And then there are the red oak logs from the other four trips that I made... they're not quite as large as the pin oak but are still in the 36 - 44" range.

Not a bad couple of days work!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Bas, I think that the reason that I looked so happy was because I survived unscathed! Working with massive logs can be a bit ticklish at times - especially when it comes to chainsaw work.

J

jeff...

Jeff - it measures six feet five inches across the base of the log... The two logs on the trailer weigh over six tons... each!

well if they had a smiley with his tongue hanging, out I would use that. Didn't anyone tell you the Doyle scale only goes to 44" :lol: Ok I'm sitting here drooling only because I can envision long fat rays coming out of those quarters. Something that old is going to have some mongo figure and the cool thing is, I don't even see any dote. What a score Scott 8-O

dozer

Mike
That makes my back sore just looking at the size of those logs :lol: hummm some quarter sawn lumber does make me think of a few projects i could make.

Trog777

New User
Trog
Wow. How cool would it be to make an entire master bedroom suite, complete with all the room trim and wainscoting out of one tree.

Turtlewood

New User
Kevin
Hmm... at that size QS isn't an option, its a necessity. How else would most get the sucker onto the mill?

Scott, was this done on Saturday right on old 64 by the traffic circle in Pittsboro? My wife and I were driving through an I saw some folks working on clearing a lot.

-Kevin

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Good haul - If you need some help just give Jeremy a call and maybe he'll let you borrow his powerfeeder - he does owe you ! :rolf:

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
8-O8-O8-O Scott, that is amazing (both the logs and the fact that you were able to get it cut and loaded). I sure hope you snap some photos during the milling process for this one. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Wow did you drop that tree as one piece. I bet that made a thud when it hit the ground.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Dozer, I was wishing that you and Ivey were around when it came time to unload those logs. With you picking up one end and Ivey the other, who needs machinery!

Kevin, Habitat let several folks harvest the logs for firewood and sawlogs. I think that the people that you saw were cutting up the smaller stuff for those purposes.

We had to wait until the end, so that there would be working room around the logs. I started cutting and hauling them on Tuesday during the day, with more loads on Wednesday. I'll make the last run today.

Mike, the loading part was easy... the contractor hired to clear the lot used his trackhoe to place them on my trailer! Unloading them maxed out my equipment - literally. I bucked the largest ones to 8'6", and the smaller ones to 12'.

Pete, I'd sure hate to see Jeremy have to remove that power feeder...:lol: but as far as "owing" me there's always opportunities for folks to tail boards and planks off of the sawmill and onto the kiln carts! :lol: :lol:

Scott

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Scott,

Those are some rather incredible sticks. Maybe you could make something as a thank-you for the Habitat offices from that lumber.

Ray

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Scott, big oaks you have there. The hard part is almost over, once you get them on your peterson mill the fun will start. I wish that I could be there to help!! Bout all that I could do is let you use my truck, that is if that Ford needs any help:lol:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I got one question. If the tree was that big, what about the stump? Gonna take some big arn to get that thing out. Grinder won't do it I don't think. :shock: Track hoes would hafta cut off all the loose dirt they could to pop it loose & into a tub grinder.

J

jeff...

Dozer, I was wishing that you and Ivey were around when it came time to unload those logs. With you picking up one end and Ivey the other, who needs machinery!

Kevin, Habitat let several folks harvest the logs for firewood and sawlogs. I think that the people that you saw were cutting up the smaller stuff for those purposes.

We had to wait until the end, so that there would be working room around the logs. I started cutting and hauling them on Tuesday during the day, with more loads on Wednesday. I'll make the last run today.

Mike, the loading part was easy... the contractor hired to clear the lot used his trackhoe to place them on my trailer! Unloading them maxed out my equipment - literally. I bucked the largest ones to 8'6", and the smaller ones to 12'.

Pete, I'd sure hate to see Jeremy have to remove that power feeder...:lol: but as far as "owing" me there's always opportunities for folks to tail boards and planks off of the sawmill and onto the kiln carts! :lol: :lol:

Scott

With your bobcat you could always "flick" them off the trailer then roll em up to the mill. I'm sure your bobcat will pick up one end of the log at a time - OR - you could just call over Dozer and Ivey to move them for you :-D

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ivey, I wish that you were here to help too! I'll, uh, keep your most generous offer regarding your Dog, oops I mean Dodge pickup in mind should I ever need a stationary immobilization device for my boat... :-D

Mike, re the "layaway plan", for you there's always a special deal!

Ray, I figured that I'd donate some of the finished wood back to Habitat - not sure what or how though. Ideas are most welcome...

I got one question. If the tree was that big, what about the stump? Gonna take some big arn to get that thing out. Grinder won't do it I don't think. :shock: Track hoes would hafta cut off all the loose dirt they could to pop it loose & into a tub grinder.

Dennis / Jtodd: A tree service came in and topped the trees, and the various local firewood cutters and band millers came in and salvaged a lot of the tops. The rest was hauled off by the grading contractor. When it came time to bring the big trunks down, we left the trunk attached to the stumps and dug them out with a trackhoe, and then pushed the entire assembly over. I cut the logs apart while the trunks were horizontal - much safer that way and also much easier to get the stumps out.

Here's the big stump:

Scott

Attachments

• Scott on stump1v2.jpg
    Scott on stump1v2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 167

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The first word that came to mind was "crikey!" Now that really puts it in perspective.

So - couple of questions. Trees that big obviously result in more boards, and are more valuable. But, considering you need extra heavy equipment, is it still profitable? Is there an "optimum" size for a tree? And does a bigger tree, on average, yield better lumber?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS