Which puller tool? - HF DC impeller conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

photostu

New User
Stuart
I'm going to do the impeller swap in my HF DC with the Rikon model, does anyone happen to have the puller tool needed to remove the existing impeller or can point me towards which one is correct?
Ideally would not like to buy this for a 1 time only use, but will if need to.

thanks for your time!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Most of the large chain auto parts stores have gear and wheel pullers available to borrow for free. Check with places like Advance Auto Part, Auto Zone, NAPA Auto Parts, etc.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have a 8” three jaw hub/gear puller it is a Bonney and almost fifty years old
I have not found anything it could not pull off. You are welcome to borrow it

JimD

Jim
Senior User
If a loan does not work out or if it would simply be more convenient, a puller is the kind of thing I wouldn't hesitate to get from Harbor Freight.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
HF now in Cary

... get from Harbor Freight.

Since the OP is in Apex, please note that last week a Harbor Freight store opened in Cary - just north of Crossroads on Walnut Street in the same plaza as the relocated REI; at the corner of Buck Jones and Walnut St.

photostu

New User
Stuart
Re: HF now in Cary

I did not know this, thank you for sharing!!

Since the OP is in Apex, please note that last week a Harbor Freight store opened in Cary - just north of Crossroads on Walnut Street in the same plaza as the relocated REI; at the corner of Buck Jones and Walnut St.

Flute Maker

Mike
User

Hi Stu let us know how this change works out for you.I am interested to see how much difference the impeller change makes.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

I also have a set of jaw pullers that you are welcome to borrow. 3", 4", 6" and 8"

Last edited:

gmakra

New User
George

hub puller.jpg

You need one of these its called a fan hub puller.
You can try a 3 jaw but chances are you will be sorry when the impeller breaks and the hub is on the shaft.
And reports of doubling air flow are suspect if you study fans you will find a little thing known as the fan laws which say something to the effect of that amps go way up on modest increases in flow.

JGregJ

Greg
User

Noted in the first video, he made his own using wood and screws. Although not shown as to why, there were many screw holes, so suspect it took him several tries to get the placement right.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member

This is basically the system I'm going to build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v5079FPCsY

I won't use the XL model though, just the regular Super DD. I plan on using 5" HVAC ducting for the mains.

Hey Stu, please takes notes on what you do here. I have that HF model and a larger model of Oneida's cyclone. So far the performance is underwhelming, but I see a few reasons why when I compare to the video. The impeller change is interesting idea. Do keep us up to date.

Sean McCurdy

New User
Sean

View attachment 29136

You need one of these its called a fan hub puller.
You can try a 3 jaw but chances are you will be sorry when the impeller breaks and the hub is on the shaft.
And reports of doubling air flow are suspect if you study fans you will find a little thing known as the fan laws which say something to the effect of that amps go way up on modest increases in flow.

I use the fan laws nearly daily. They are meant for geometrically similar fans. Because these are significantly different profiles, it doesn't apply here. If it did, you'd see about a 70% increase in flow, but 2.5x the power draw.

What is likely happening is a combo of a big change in fan efficiency coupled with not stellar measurement techniques.

gmakra

New User
George

Sean point taken, however even if the new impeller is more efficient there is still a tax on power draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS