Which is the better Dewalt Scroll saw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
A Hegner MultiMate 18 ... :gar-La; In all honesty, you'd be lucky to find either a Type 1 Dewalt or a used Hegner, but keep trying.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Guess I'm a lucky soul. I found both a used Type 1 DeWalt and a used Hegner but the latter needed a lot of work. I couldn't get the speed control to work and ended up giving it away.

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
FWIW, should anyone need repair on the Dewalt 788, there is a guy I met at the Atlanta woodworking show who tunes and repairs them. I recently had him do mine when it started making a knocking noise. Name is Bob Brokaw. He also has videos on 788 repair & maintenance on the Gwinnett Woodworkers website:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNt2Y0ajDwk&t=58s

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
There is a video on the Gwinette Woodworkers website where Bob tears down a DW788 and replaces bearings etc.
I had a Type 1 for a very long time. It fizzed out. Blew the fuse as soon as the switch was turned on. I replaced the circuit board and same results. I had read on Dewalt website they would go through your 788 and replace bearings as well as anything else that was wrong, and give you back your saw with a 1 year guarantee, all for the price of $259. I took my good old type 1 to the service center on Wilkinson Blvd in Charlotte. They called 10 days later and said it was ready. When the saw was wheeled out, it looked to be brand new. The service tech looked at the tag and said they had taken the table from my old saw, and put it on a brand new saw. The label on the motor said it was a Type 1. When I went to pay the bill, it was only $209. Very, very commendable service from Dewalt. The saw didn't seem to operate as well as my old saw, but I can't be specific, it was more of a "feel" thing. It did work quite well though. The motor produced a bad spot, so I took it back before my warranty expired. Several days later I picked up the saw, and the motor had been replaced. I noticed the sticker on the motor was the very same one on the old motor. So I have questioned every since, whether they put my old table on a Type 2, and reused the old motor sticker, which does have the serial number.
As Scott said, the Type 1 saws were made in Canada, and had a much higher level of quality control, while the manufacturing of the saw was sent to China, and those saws have the Type 2 label.
Knocking in a 788 can be fixed fairly easily by the user. If anyone has that problem, I can walk you through it, after I go look at my saw. Just home from 2 weeks in rehab, and started using a cane yesterday instead of a walker. Recovering nicely from the knee transplant, but I'm still a little wobbly. Hope to be in the shop knocking out some fancy clocks for Christmas presents. within a few days. So if you'd like some guidance, just PM me.
HAPPY SAWDUSTING Y'ALL!

ehpoole

Ethan
But, but,... doesn't the magnetic need to be hanging from the metal to prove it is indeed iron!?!? :rotflm:

That would depend upon whether the photo was taken here on Earth or aboard the ISS. Of course, it is also possible that this scrollsaw is really mounted on the ceiling and the magnet is, in fact, hanging from the cast iron. You never can tell with some people. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS