Which dovetail saw to buy???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I used this saw to cut the dovetails in this box.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2000844/18689/Lynx-8-Gents-Saw.aspx

136.JPG

I tend to agree that what feels good in your hand is probably best. I still need to practice, but these joints came out ok with an inexpensive saw.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Another vote for waiting until you take the class. One of the great features of Roy's school is the tool shop upstairs run by Ed. Visit Ed at the shop and see what he has to recommend. I bought an excellent Disston Dovetail Saw from him a few weeks ago for $75 that I would compare to the $250 saws being sold new now. It was hand sharpened by Bill and cuts through wood like butter.

- Ken.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
Another vote for waiting until you take the class. One of the great features of Roy's school is the tool shop upstairs run by Ed. Visit Ed at the shop and see what he has to recommend. I bought an excellent Disston Dovetail Saw from him a few weeks ago for $75 that I would compare to the $250 saws being sold new now. It was hand sharpened by Bill and cuts through wood like butter.

- Ken.

Is this shop only open for those in class or do they have retail hours?

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Is this shop only open for those in class or do they have retail hours?

It is open to the public, but it is usually only open when there is a class going on. I get a regular email from Ed about once a month telling what new items he has and also what hours he'll likely be open for the next few weeks.

I usually verify via email that he has what I'm looking for and will be open on a particular Saturday before I make the 30 minute trip from Cary to Pittsboro. The shop entrance is around the corner and up the stairs from the school, which is a storefront at 89 Hillsboro St. in Pittsboro.

I don't have it handy now, but I can get Ed's email address if you're interested.

Pittsboro is a lovely little town to visit. Take your wife with you and let her browse the shops on Hillsboro while you browse the tool store and meet after you're done in the old-time soda shop next to the school afterward for an ice cream or hand made lemonaide.

- Ken.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I would like to get on his mailing list.

I was just in the shop looking for brass fittings and found two Crown gents saws that I forgot I had. I'll be using them soon.

Dino said he is selling any tool he hasn't used in a year, that got me thinking. I have tools I haven't used in twenty years. But I'm not about to let them go. I'm sure I would need them the next day. And besides those old tools are my wife's retirement after I'm gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS