Which Do You Do First: Sharpen or Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
When preparing to use the chainsaw for the first time in a while, which do you do first: start the saw or sharpen the chain? On which side of this great ideological divide do you fall?

I am a "start it first" guy. After I have the cleaned/replaced the plug, file the bar oil and put some gas in the tank, I want to be sure it fires up and idles good. Then I will touch up the chain. If it will not start, I can drop it off for a tune up on my way to work; I can get the chain "professionally sharpened" also.

Rob

New User
Rob
I sharpen my chain every time I fill with fuel and bar oil. So if I check those before using it, I'll sharpen the chain, if I don't, it will get done as soon as I'm out of fuel.

I've been thinking about buying a good quality Oregon chain sharpener. Bench model, I switch between 3 chains and I have to mount them on the saw to sharpen them.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Sharpen, have 2 chains sharpened in reserve, check fuel and oil tighten nuts, make sure you have several wedges if dropping a tree, hammer, nut wrench driver, .. saw..

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
As a very casual chain sawyer, I almost always use first.

When its not "cutting good enough" out comes the file.

I do always flip the bar over and clean out the air filter with each sharpening though.

Gotta love habits!

jim

gene

New User
gene
I like to do all the maintence first - bar oil, fuel, sharpen.
And I use the Dremel jig kit - the stones seem to put a very sharp edge on the teeth (there are other similar tools) without demounting the chain - I carry a rechargeable Dremel fitted with the proper stone & jig ... along with fuel & bar oil. I wear out before they do!

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't you sharpen first? I mean, trying to sharpen when the saw is already started just sounds dangerous.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Like all wood working tools, sharpen early and often. A round file and saw guide work quick and easy and are small enough to keep with your gas can. Touch up the chain every time you add gas/oil.

About every 4 to 5 times I sharpen I will sit down and check the teeth, look for the shortest one, set a gauge to that length and file all the teeth to match. The saw cuts much better when all teeth are doing equal work.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I always start with a sharp chain. Have a couple of spares if the cutting is heavy or daylight is short. Usually touch it up with a file at days end, clean out the crud, and have it ready to go the next time (however I loosen the tension on the chain, especially in cold weather, before putting up the saw).

Go

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I always start first. I got into the habbit of getting the chain sharpened before I put the saw to rest so the next time I need it, I know it's ready to go. I recently finished clearing my mountain lot, now the saw is sitting ready for anything else that needs to go. Now I just need something to pull the stumps and bury them!

Red

Dragon

New User
David
Guess I'm "old school" or just plain old and stubborn, YMMV.:dontknow: In all the years I've been using chainsaws, my preferred method of sharpening a chain is with a Granberg hand filing guide. http://onlinestore.forestindustry.com/scripts/granbergint/G106B.html Relatively inexpensive, works right first time, every time, and never needs batteries or other electrical source.

I keep several chains sharpened and ready to go at all times. I've seen many times when I needed it right now and no time to worry about a dull chain. My saw is "ready to go" 99% of the time. Kinda like my "little friend" who's also ready to go any time.

Many folks say to only use special bar and chain oil but I've found plain old 30 wt motor oil does just as good for a lot less money if you get at the discount stores and buy the cheapest, off-brand stuff you can find. Now, I don't skimp on the oil for the gas mixture. That little engine runs at high RPM's and the only lubrication it gets is via that oil/gas mix. Buy the best stuff you can and it'll give you great service for a looooong time.

So...........in answer to the original question.........I just choke, prime, set the throttle, and yank the little cord and commence t' making sawdust.:gar-Bi
Ya'll be careful out there.........

M

McRabbet

First thing I do is put on my chaps, then I fuel and start the saw which I had cleaned and sharpened the last time I put it away. I also don ear and eye protection before the saw touchs wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors