Which Bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Finished the exterior of my shop 2 weeks ago. I have been on extended travel and will post the results soon. Plan on completing electrical this week and then start on interior.

Still need a bandsaw for shop and need assistance on which is the better buy/saw?

RIKON 14" deluxe 10-325 or the POWERMATIC 14" w/ free riser.

RIkon in $749 this month and POWERMATIC will be $899 and a $50 gift certificate later this month.

Thanks,
Tim

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Historically the Powermatic with riser has had issues with alignment of the riser to the bottom of the saw. I'd make sure that has been resolved.

I had to make the same decision a few years ago and chose the Rikon 10-325, and haven't regretted it a second.

Whichever you decide on, get a couple of bimatal blades from woodcraftbands.com. (this is not Woodcraft)

Enjoy whichever you buy.

ken

TBradley190

New User
Tim
I just purchased the Rikon and I love so far, but I dove into it yet. I'm starting a morris chair now so I'm gonna break it in good. But it would be a hard choice for me against a PM because my other Powermatic tool are the most top quality tools IMO. Good luck with it!

Tim

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
When I was in the market for a new BS two years ago, I looked into several models and did some research. As Ken pointed out, putting a riser on a 14" saw has led to problems. The riser becomes the weak link in the spline of the saw, and can get out of alignment w/ the table.

I think the only reason for adding a riser to a 14" saw is to increase the resaw capacity from 6" to 12". The Rikon 10-325 already has a resaw capacity of 13", w/ a one piece, solid spline.

I chose the Rikon and have been very satisfied. No matter which saw you choose, I would strongly suggest you immediately get rid of the original blade and replace it w/ a high quality after-market blade. I'm satisfied w/ the Woodslicer from Highland Hdwr, but others on here have good experience w/ other blades as well.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS