Which bandsaw to keep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I feel a bit ungrateful, to be considering selling my prize from the raffle yesterday. But I already have a bandsaw...and have a smallish shop. I could surely sandwich another bandsaw in there...but it seems a bit silly to have two tools that are so similar when I'm constantly looking for ways to conserve space.

My existing saw is a newish Jet 16" (JWBS-16). My only reason for buying a bandsaw was for resawing. The Jet has 10" resaw capacity. I was shooting for 12", but I got a really good deal on this one, it was nearly brand new, came with 3 woodslicer blades and was about half of Amazon's price. Since then, I've built a mobile base for it, replaced the table with a much larger custom table, added a Kreg fence and built a resaw-extension for the fence. I also picked up a Laguna Resaw King blade (1" carbide) for about 1/3 price on a closeout. I've been completely happy with the saw and have found myself using it quite a bit for tasks other than resawing.

So now I've got the Rikon 14" Deluxe sitting in the box in the garage...begging me to open it. I put an ad on CL immediately when I got home, in an attempt to prevent me from opening the box. Not sure how long that will work :> Putting together new tools is SOOOO much fun! It has 13" resaw capacity...which is really tempting me. I've hit the limit of my 10" capacity a few times, but I could probably find someone with more capacity to help out, if I really needed it. If I kept this Rikon, I'd want to build a new table (or adapt my existing, if possible). And a mobile base. Neither of which I really want to do again. I'd also need a new resaw blade and possibly a few other blades. But loosing 2" of depth would be annoying as well.

I could sell both and buy an even bigger saw :gar-La;.

And of course there are the myriad of other possibilities. Like selling the Rikon and picking up a Byrd cutterhead for my planer, which I think would benefit from a lot. And maybe have a enough left over for a little something from Lee Valley as well!

What would you do if you were in my position?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I wouldn't rush to ANY conclusion! I think you should store the Rikon a couple years and ponder the situation. Someplace secure, like MY shop!! :rotflm:

Good luck, Bro! :wsmile:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Unless you find that you hit the resaw limit of 10" frequently (i.e. more than once a month), I'd sell it. The Rikon is a great saw, but you already have a great saw with all the fixings and trimmings. Now, if I had won it, I would have used to replace my Grizzly G0555. I love my Grizzly, but it only has 6" resaw out of the box, and every time I think about getting the riser block I'm thinking I should just get the G0555 bigger brother and keep both :):tool: I also like your idea of selling both saws and buying something that does it all using the same amount of shop space.

If you feel guilty (and you shouldn't!), consider selling the tool here on NCWW for a nice price to another member. Or set aside a few dollars from the sale towards the next raffle (it's never too early for that!).

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Chris, I bought the Rikon 14" last year, mainly for the resaw capacity, w/ the intention of selling my old Delta 14". But after setting up the Rikon w/ a Woodslicer blade for resaw, I decided to keep the Delta w/ a 1/4" blade for curved work. Fortunately, I have the space in my shop.

As for resawing, I don't know anything about the Jet 16", but I can attest to the Rikon's resawing: It's great! Before this, resawing was a dreaded chore. Now I actually look for excuses to resaw. :eusa_danc

Bill

M

McRabbet

Chris,

If you do decide to sell either saw on CL, please post a link here for our members to find it easily. Thanks. An congratulations on your winning ticket!

ehpoole

Ethan
Chris,

I truly feel your pain. I won Greg's generous donation in the raffle but due to my health problems I am really not in a position to take advantage of it. When you figure that it easily takes me 10-20 times longer to complete a task compared to most of you, I would barely have time to get my shoes tied before the day was over.

So, soon I will also be looking to either sell or trade Greg's Woodworking Class to another NCWWer so that they may benefit from and enjoy his extraordinary talent. Hopefully Greg will forgive me because I would really like to drop by his place sometime when I'm in the area. Unfortunately, I'm usually only in the area for the afternoon and it is mostly spent on repairs to my Grandmother's cabin (just off the Blue Ridge Parkway).

As for your predicament. I don't know how critical carbide tipped bandsaw blades are to your resawing. However, a 16" bandsaw is already on the smallish side for carbide tipped blades and will shorten the life of the steel band through fatigue. Needless to say, a 14" bandsaw is even smaller and will subject the band to even more stress and fatigue with each revolution further shortening the life of a carbide tipped blade. So, you will have to decide how much that extra 2-3" of resaw capacity is versus limiting yourself to traditional bandsaw blades or short-lived carbide blades. Generally, the recommended wheel diameter for carbide tipped blades is 19" and larger which reduces band fatigue and helps you get the most life possible from the carbide tipped blade.

I own the Rikon 18" Bandsaw (model 10-345) -- which is actually closer to a 19" wheel -- and love it. However, if I were chosing between the 14" Rikon and the 16" Jet (fully tuned), my inclination would be to keep the Jet and sell the Rikon unless I had a use for both. If you owned a larger (18-20") bandsaw, then a good argument can be made to keep both -- one for resawing and a smaller one with a narrow band for scrolling and other detail sawing.

Whichever way you go, Happy Woodworking!

dupont6480

New User
Tim
Chris,If you are interested in selling the bandsaw; please give me a call to discuss purchasing it.I am in the process of building a workshop and outfitting it with quality tools and could provide a good home for your saw.Thanks,Tim

sushinutnc

New User
Mike
If you feel guilty (and you shouldn't!), consider selling the tool here on NCWW for a nice price to another member. .
+1 on that! Although I did win a raffle item (YEAH) I was eying that bandsaw. :mrgreen:

It runs for $900 on Amazon (delivered + money-back guarantee), so you'd probably have to do better than your $900 ad on CL to sell it to a fellow NCWWer. Just sayin.... :wink_smil

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
+1 on that! Although I did win a raffle item (YEAH) I was eying that bandsaw. :mrgreen:

It runs for $900 on Amazon (delivered + money-back guarantee), so you'd probably have to do better than your $900 ad on CL to sell it to a fellow NCWWer. Just sayin.... :wink_smil

I'll start the bidding at $50!!!! :icon_cheers

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

Yeah, I'm obviously not trying _real_ hard to get it out of the garage just yet... :dontknow:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Well, after thinking about it for a week, I've decided to sell it. I've got a lot of effort invested in my existing saw and except for the extra 3" of resaw, I think my Jet is the superior machine. Thanks for all the advice and a HUGE thanks to the NCWW BOD and Mr Payne (McRabbet) for putting on the raffle!

(I'm confident my next project will require me to resaw something just beyond the 10" capacity of the Jet!)

TBradley190

New User
Tim
you should pm or submit an offer from the ad to get a time stamp into his inbox. He may not see this post first. or even commit to buy which removes the ad.

Thanks Steve,
I had already sent a PM but I just comitted...didn't see that the first time

Tim

KC7CN

New User
Don
I have the Jet 16" band saw! A nice saw, but it's a hassle to change from one blade size to another. I use if for re-sawing all the time! I also have a small, limited space shop, but missed having the convenience of a small band saw, so I bought a Jet 10" band saw when they were on sale last Xmas. It's fairly small and doesn't take up much space! A small band saw is really handy and provides a measure of safety for cutting small parts. My suggestion is to keep your 2nd band saw.

-Don

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I have the Jet 16" band saw! A nice saw, but it's a hassle to change from one blade size to another.

Don, I'm curious how long it takes you to change blades?

I don't change blades often, but I don't think it takes me more than 5 minutes - which is about the same time it takes me to setup a dado blade in my table saw.

Chris

KC7CN

New User
Don
Don, I'm curious how long it takes you to change blades?

I don't change blades often, but I don't think it takes me more than 5 minutes - which is about the same time it takes me to setup a dado blade in my table saw.

Chris

Chris, my comment was based on the time it takes to change from one width size blade, to another width size. Most of my re-saw blades are 3/4'' blades, but my fine tooth blades are 1/2'' and 3/8'' width. I have big hands, and find it easier to remove the table to make major adjustments to the lower Euro bearings.

-Don

ehpoole

Ethan
Chris, my comment was based on the time it takes to change from one width size blade, to another width size. Most of my re-saw blades are 3/4'' blades, but my fine tooth blades are 1/2'' and 3/8'' width. I have big hands, and find it easier to remove the table to make major adjustments to the lower Euro bearings.

-Don

I'm not familiar with the Jet's (or your bandsaw if not a Jet) blade guides, but I am assuming they are similar in style to my Rikon 18" bandsaw... If you are having difficulty adjusting the bearing guides without removing the table then you may find it helpful to invest in a good set of T-handled ball-end allen wrenches (my set came from Sears). I bought a set to make adjustments much easier on my Rikon bandsaw (esp. under the table) and they greatly simplify the adjustment process.

...Just a thought...

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris

I see. In the past, I was forced to remove the table because I could not get my 1" resaw blade off any other way. I designed my replacement table with a blade removal slot that is more conveniently placed for getting blades on and off. Blade changes are much quicker now :>

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I'm not familiar with the Jet's (or your bandsaw if not a Jet) blade guides, but I am assuming they are similar in style to my Rikon 18" bandsaw... If you are having difficulty adjusting the bearing guides without removing the table then you may find it helpful to invest in a good set of T-handled ball-end allen wrenches (my set came from Sears). I bought a set to make adjustments much easier on my Rikon bandsaw (esp. under the table) and they greatly simplify the adjustment process.

...Just a thought...

The Jet has thumb screws for securing the guides. I suppose they could be replaced with socket-head screws...but the one on the backside would face the back of the saw, which might make the situation even worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS