Which background do you like best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cskipper

Cathy
I cut this horse from spalted maple. I am showing it with the traditional dark background, which is very dramatic. I'm also showing it with a light background (BB, could use lighter) - which is kind of interesting. Which do you like best?

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Horse_w_light_background_IMGP1231.JPG
    Horse_w_light_background_IMGP1231.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 247
  • Horse_dark_background_IMGP1230.JPG
    Horse_dark_background_IMGP1230.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 253

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I do like the dark background of the two choices here. I follow a page on FB called Black Lab Fabrication, where they have an interesting take on scroll work backgrounds. It may be worth checking out.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dark. To me black is classy. I bet 90% of my work is backed with black. My next favorite backing color are blues. Especially if the subject shows water or sky. Great choice of wood for that one.

cskipper

Cathy
I do like the dark background of the two choices here. I follow a page on FB called Black Lab Fabrication, where they have an interesting take on scroll work backgrounds. It may be worth checking out.

I love the idea. It looks like the boards i the backgrounds are consistent in size - is that just the artists judgement call? I think some patterns would get lost in the background, and in some patterns the background detail would get lost. But for many things this is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
​What everybody else said. I was a graphic designer a few years ago. It seems dark always seems to look better and classy. It's a well done & very beautiful project.

Pop
:icon_cheers

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Like most things there are a time a place for backgrounds like those. I will keep this idea in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
I love the idea. It looks like the boards i the backgrounds are consistent in size - is that just the artists judgement call? I think some patterns would get lost in the background, and in some patterns the background detail would get lost. But for many things this is cool. Thanks for sharing.

Like most things there are a time a place for backgrounds like those. I will keep this idea in mind for the future. Thanks for sharing.

Their backgrounds work best for outline and less detailed cuts than with fretwork, I think, but it is an interesting way to add contrast to certain types of scrollwork. I guess you could also do some of this with a small bandsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS