Where to buy picture framing supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Many thanks to everybody that shared advice with me on my spalted oak picture framing project. The frames (5) are all assembled, and three of them in the process of receiving multiple coats of danish oil. The other two will get their finish applied tomorrow after the glue has had time to fully cure.

In the triangle area, I'm wondering where the best place is to pick up mats and glass for my frames. They are relatively small (matt/glass O.D of roughly 13" x 10"). I need to get them no later than this weekend, as 3 of the frames need to be shipped on Monday in time for birthdays.

I'm aware that Michaels offers supplies, and the LOML has mentioned Hobby Lobby inbetween Siler City and Asheboro as having better prices and turnaround than Michaels.

Does anybody have any other advice to share re a fast turnaround at a good price?

Thanks much. Scott

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Goggle wholesale picture framing supplies in Raleigh, and firm on South McDowell street pops up (VDZ framing supplies). In downtown APEX is a framing shop. Less than five bucks of gas from your place. They buy supplies from an outfit in Rocky Mount, at least they did last year when I was doing a job in Apex. Saw the address on side of delivery truck.

MikeH

New User
Mike
There is a company in Hendersonville that looks like they have a large assortment of supplies. Here is the link to the site.

framingsupplies.com Picture Frames

1237 Shipp St.
Hendersonville, NC 28791

ORDERS: 1-800-334-9060
FAX: 1-828-697-2031

E-MAIL:
info@framingsupplies.com

Eric Laudenbacher

New User
Eric Laudenbacher
I've got half a garage of framing supplies, but I don't think you want to drive to Greensboro, and I'll only be home Friday morning. Pm me if you want more info.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
When I lived in Kansas Hobby Lobby was the only ummm, I call them junk stores, that I would go to. They are a pretty good place for stuff like that.

FWIW, you can get precut mats at a lot of places including Target (pronounced targez), Walmart, and others. Lowes and HD both carry glass now and will custom cut it. I don't know if they are cheaper or higher than a glass shop though.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
All - thanks for the feedback - it is much appreciated.

Eric - thx for the offer. Right now I'm on a tight schedule and need to stick with something that I can pick up close to home.

Scott

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When I lived in Kansas Hobby Lobby was the only ummm, I call them junk stores, that I would go to. They are a pretty good place for stuff like that.

FWIW, you can get precut mats at a lot of places including Target (pronounced targez), Walmart, and others. Lowes and HD both carry glass now and will custom cut it. I don't know if they are cheaper or higher than a glass shop though.
Something in the back of my mind, amongst the cob webs is the thought that I once heard that picture frame glass was different from window pane glass. Something about the reflectivity, I believe. Remember, you take this info, and fifty five cents and get a senior coffee at MacDonalds. Just be sure to have the fifty five cents.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I seem to remember something like that as well now that you mention it. Low reflection, low glare, something like that.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Yup, and according to the framing place some glasses are treated to block UV rays as well (keep the colors more consistent on the original).

Three of the frames are getting their paste wax coatings today (72 hours have passed since the final Danish Oil treatmemnt), mats and glass installed tomorrow and shipped tomorrow and Tuesday. The other two will get paste wax late tomorrow, and then off to get mats and glass the week after next.

Thanks again for the help!

Scott

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Ok, here is a pix of the prettiest one of the 5. My other pix came out either blurry or with a lot of glare.

Scott

Attachments

• Mike's Frame5.jpg
    Mike's Frame5.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 163
J

jeff...

thats some real pretty wood there Scott and great woodworking to boot :icon_thum

KHageman

New User
Ken
If you want to take a drive some afternoon, there is a place in Lexington, NC called the "Picture Frame Outlet. They sell all sorts of molding and supplies. They ae located at 40 West 12th Street in Lexington. The parent company manufactures moulding right there in Lexington. If you are in to picture frames, it's a "candy store".

They have a deal there that you can't beat if you have the space in your shop and a vehicle that can carry a lot of moulding. They have pieces that do not make the grade seperated out and put on rolling carts. May be a very minor flaw or a big one. Some of the larger and more ornate and guilded mouldings might not have the rabbit in them to accept what you are framing. Can anyone say "router table"? You can buy a whole cart of this material for $25.00. It's enough to make a grown man cry.

If I buy anymore wood or materials for my shop, divorce might be the future. But for those with an understanding spouse and for any singles out there, a few thousand feet of moulding for a dirt cheap price might just be the ticket.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors