Where Can I Find....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
I have a project I took on and now I am running into a wall. I am building a large cork bulletin board and I have everything except the backing board to mount the cork to. I thought a construction grade plywood would work, but the pins are difficult to push into it. The cork is 1/4", which holds pretty well, but still isn't stout enough. I think I need a diffusible fiberboard, 1/4" thick, but I cannot find anyone who has it.

Does anyone know where I might find a 4'x6' sheet of this?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
One thought, could you do a double or triple layer of cork with the playwood backer?

Contact cement or spray adhesive would hold the layers together.

Jim

MikeH

New User
Mike
Foam core that is used for picture mounting would be a great use for that and it is readily available. Check any craft or hobby store. :-D Let us know what you end up using.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The form "stuff" from craft store is called Foamtastic. Runs about .50 cents per square foot. I do not recall it coming in anything bigger then 2' x 3' but I don't think I ever looked for larger.

Littlejon

New User
Jon
I guess I should have given a little more information. The board is a big. REAL big. Around 4'x6' and will be hung in a hall in our church for the Cub Scouts leaders to put stuff on. Foam core probably wouldn't last with all the stuff that will be put on and taken off. I imagine rigid insulation would be the same. Most boards have a fiberboard backing which isn't as dense as plywood, but much more dense than foam.

I tried some rougher plywood today and it seemed to be alright. It was a little tough getting the pins in, but not as bad as before. I think this will do fine and may actually stand up better over the long haul.

Unfortunately for me, I got in too big a hurry and "assumed" my plywood was the size I thought it was. I built the frame and got ready to set the plywood in, only to discover the plywood was an inch too short!:BangHead: Seems I forgot that the piece I was planning on using for this was a piece I cut a while back, telling myself I would adjust the frame when it got to that point. Well, guess what I forgot to do!!

So, I had to take the frame apart and cut the long rails again. I will glue it up tomorrow and see if I can get it all together before my kids go off to college!:-?

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
When I worked in the school system, we used 1/4" tempered hardboard (Masonite) for the backer. Slightly scuff with a piece of coarse sandpaper. Cut cork material about two inches oversized. Lay out cork material on bench, or floor and spread two coats of contact cement, following manufacturers directions. Apply only one coat to hard board Put dowels on cork material and lay hardboard over it. This is a TWO person operation. Starting in center, start removing dowels. If assembly was on floor, walk on top of hard board. If not use "J" roller to atttach. Turn assembly over and roll on cork side. Trim cork to match backer, and you are done. BOL

Jim Hancock

Jim
Corporate Member
Capitol Lumber has a product called Homasote. It comes in 4x8 sheets and is a compressed paper product. And it is inexpensive. Stained glass folks use it for the tops of their benches since we can use push pins in it repeatedly without damage and it doesn't burn during soldering. (the paper is highly compressed) You can use regular tools to cut it to size, no carbide required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors