Where can I find an adapter bushing for a Delta benchtop mortiser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I have a Delta 14-650 hollow chisel mortiser, and it takes the standard Delta 5/8" shank chisels, which limits it's capacity to 1/2".

I've noticed that most of the standard mortisers from other companies utilize a 3/4" shank chisel, instead of Delta's 5/8" shank, and that there are a lot of companies producing 3/4" shank bits. CMT's bits on Amazon reference that an adapter bushing is available to fit my delta machine, that would allow me to use the standard 3/4" shank bits, however I can't find one listed anywhere.

Does anybody know where I can purchase the adapter bushing?

Thx.

Scott

ehpoole

Ethan
Woodcraft sells a 3/4" hollow mortise bit with a 5/8" collar.

I have a Powematic mortiser and my 1/4" through 1/2" bits all are 3/4" collar Powermatic brand chisels. The ONE non-Powermatic bit I purchased, the 3/4" would of course have to be 5/8 -- so ironically, the largest chisel I have (the 3/4") necessitates swapping bushings. Fortunately, I do not have to break out the 3/4" bit very often.

That said, most of the hobby mortisers out their are only rated for a maximum of 1/2" chisel. You should have atleast a 3/4 HP motor for the 3/4" chisel and 1 HP for 1".

If you have not already done so, Lee Valley/Veritas sells a pair of diamond honing cones for sharpening hollow mortise chisels (up to 1" if you get the large set, which is the one you will want for 3/4" chisels). A good investment IMHO.

HTH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS