What to expect at the Pig Picking

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
What to expect at the Pig Picking
Hello all
I've had a few questions about the Pig Picking and thought I'd make a thread about what to expect.

The facility is on the French Broad River. Its a bit secluded, yet not far from the 'real world'. Pictures coming soon I promise!
There is a nice enclosed building and on the bank of the river a patio that is perfect for sipping a cup of coffee and watching the water flow by. Peaceful and serene always come to mind when I'm there!
Care to wet a line? No problem. NC Wildlife laws do apply though.
There are plastic resin chairs for us to use. If you want a more comfortable chair or lawn chair, you might want to bring one! Personally, I abhor the resin things. Sometimes my size and their strength don't work out so well together! :nah: No fat jokes needed

McRabbet is the president of the WNCWA and his group of woodworkers are having their monthly meeting in conjunction with the Pig Picking. Several people are members of both.
Also a few people from the IAP may come. I know some of us frequent their site as well. So there may be names and faces you don't recognize. Introduce yourself and TALK WOOD!
I know for me, MOST of your faces will be unknown to me. When you get there please sign in and get a name tag.

Pig cooking takes a long time! We'll have the gate open for you by 8AM. You don't have to come then, but feel free to come and enjoy the facility when you want.

We'll plan on the food being ready at 1PM.

We will have a 'FREE TO GOOD HOME' table where anyone can donate tools, wood, etc that are serviceable but just need a new home. Walk through and if you see something that fits your needs, just help yourself! Have something to offer, please~ feel free to bring it and drop it off.

We will have a 'FOR SALE' area in the parking lot and a table for anyone "DQ" qualified to sell items. If you need more room, we can probably find it. If you have or want to bring more than the one table can hold please feel free to bring your own. If you aren't sure you are "DQ" Qualified, please contact Steve Coles or one of the site staff to find out. If someone wants to bring in a trailer load of wood or a band saw blade for instance and someone wants to make a deal then good for both of you. One member who is downsizing mentioned that he would appreciate being able to bring in some tools and maybe sell them. We'll have an area for you.

We will have a 'SHOW IT OFF' area. If you have some examples of your work you'd like to be seen this is your chance. I know often we see,
'the pictures just don't do it justice'... PROVE IT :rotflm:
We'd love to see some of your work.

We are planning a 'SILENT AUCTION' table. If anyone would be willing, and wants to donate something to the cause, we'll have a silent auction. More on this to come.
We are working with Steve and want to support the site and the new corporation as best we can!

We want to have some demonstrations. As most of you know, I am a firefighter. I love reading the safety threads and posts. This may be a great chance to share a little. We intend to have some fire extinguishers and let some people that have never actually used one or seen one used get some experience. Maybe a little first aid as well.

We are open for ideas/suggestions/ comments/ questions. We want to make this a fun day for all.

I know some people are staying in the area over night. There is a lot to see and do within a few miles. Need ideas or directions, just ask. Lots of us are from the area and can probably find you most anything you'd want.

We'll be locking the gate at 10PM unless everyone leaves before then. You've heard the old saying - "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here... "

AWH

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
Man, this sounds great. I hope I can make it. Gonna have to talk to the LOML about it ....

One request ... a single post that simply reads the WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE, WHY (the consolidated version)

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Added a couple of pictures of the camp.
Its not fancy, but its a beautiful site on the river and its ours for the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS