What router bit do you use to mortise hinges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have been working on the "FOREVER PLAYHOUSES" and the latest is making doors and casings. I figured I would make a jig to mortise out the hinges with the router, but the problem I have is the router bit. I thought I had a pattern bit with a 1/2 inch cutter height, but I didn't. I had one with a 3/4 inch cutter height so that means I would need a template greater than 3/4" thick. I did have an "offset pattern bit" that was shorter, but like I said, it is offset so I have to go around and chisel it out. I believe this bit is meant to work with the Porter Cable door hinge template, and quite frankly, it sucks bad. I had to run the router at the slowest speed and be very light with cutting to keep it from burning and it was only 3/32" deep.

So, what do you use, where did you get it, and do you like it?

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I use a strait bit 1/2" with a coller on the router but then I also have a hinge jig to use with it!:) you are wellcome to use it if ya like. but I cant let it out for long as it gets used pretty regular.

fred p

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
bosch yes yes and yes!:rolf: they run around 300 bucks so not realy worth while for 1 or 2 doors. I used to hang commercial doors for a living. too old for that now!:roll: too lazy too!!!!!:rolf:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I use MLCS's 1/2" X1/2" pattern trim bit. They also carry mortising bits, along with dado cleanout bits that will work.

newtonc

New User
jak
I agree that using a jig and routing out is a great way to achieve the task.The router is about my favorite tool in the shop and I use it whenever possible.
However, if you are only doing a few hinges I would think that a scribed outline and a few minutes with a chisel are all that is needed.
But I could be wrong...:eusa_thin

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
$300 is too rich for my blood. I am wanting something to use for cabinet/furniture hinges as well. The 1/2 x 1/2 MLCS cutter seems like the ticket. I am going to check that out.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Me too. And I need to see that much radius to set my chisel for the corners.
I have one of those funny looking corner chisels like Norm uses on the NYW. Only problem is half the time I can't find it. But it does a good job when I can find it.

DavidF

New User
David
I would scribe the lines as though you were going to chisel by hand and then set the router bit depth on a suitable, bottom cut bit and free hand close to the lines. Use another piece of wood clamped to the side of the door/frame to give support to the router. Clean up the corners by hand and done. Much better than trying to make a jig for a few hinges and you know the fit will be good and the bottom of the recess nice and flat.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Travis, check out this thread. Tod is a cabinet maker based in Mountain Home, AR and does some really nice work. This is the jig he uses with a top bearing bit.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Actually, that is what I was trying to do. The problem I have had is the top bearing bit. I have several top bearing bits, but all of them had a cutter length of 3/4" or greater. That meant my template had to be thicker than 3/4" and that is a pain. I went to the BORG and Klingspor and neither had one shorter. I did order one from MLCS today so I should be set.

I like the base plate Tod put on his router. That is one I hadn't considered and I will definitely be doing that.

Thanks Ed!

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Travis here's a jig I built from Shopnotes. Plan used the base for guide but I've modified it for a top bearing. I've got the article on HD if you want to see it.
Hinge_Mortise_Jig_4_.jpg

Adzeman

New User
Eric Moerschel
Jesada Tools in Florida has nice bits, I've been using them on large mortises for years. You might also try solid carbide "end mill" bits at Grainger.

-Eric Moerschel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS