What makes the wood do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertsuggs

New User
Robert
See the picture below. After applying stain to this white oak, opposite ends of the wood take the stain completely differently. Color is different and even the grain looks different between the rays. What could cause this? (and please forgive the snipe...)
IMG_2426.jpg

robertsuggs

New User
Robert
Got it straight from the lumber yard off a pallet and then into my garage. Anyone else have an idea? Thanks for the suggestions EP

robertsuggs

New User
Robert
That was my conclusion, but I didn't want it to jade the conversation. I thought it would be really easy to tell the difference between heartwood and sapwood in the white oak, but it didn't seem so. I am missing something? What is the easiest way to tell the difference in a rough cut board?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Whatever the cause, it is obvious the surface changes from section to section. That can be caused by a change in the direction of the grain and also wood could have been burnished by the feed rollers, dull blade, etc. Take the piece in the photo and re-sand it thoroughly- 80 g., 150 g, 220 g., then apply stain again to see what happens. Also, what is the moisture content? Another thing- even though the MC might be fine, after sanding did the wood get wet and dry out - the water can mess up the tanic acid and even though the wood is dry it may not take stain evenly.

You have more going on than snipe. All three boards in the photo have not been sanded enough- milling marks are visible even on the two pieces of rift-sawn oak.

Windy

New User
Windy
Boards were cut from a deceased mineral stained rotten white oak that should have been firewood instead.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Robert, that appears to be decay. I don't think that it is sap wood because there is a streak that crosses several growth rings in the middle. Two potential causes come to mind. First, as indicated by Windy the log could have started to decay before it was milled. Second, some flat stacked lumber could have been exposed to the weather and water migrated into the stack from the end, soaking the lumber and leading to decay. I think that it was log decay though.

Scott

Last edited:

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Pigment stain + funky wood = the appearance of splotching because of uneven stain absorption. :eek:

A gel stain or a dye may be more forgiving if you've gotta use this wood after re-sanding it up to about 150-180 g.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Robert, that appears to be decay. I don't think that it is sap wood because there is a streak that crosses several growth rings in the middle. Two potential causes come to mind. First, as indicated by Windy the log could have started to decay before it was milled. Second, some flat stacked lumber could have Bernard exposed to the weather and water migrated into the stack from the end, soaking the lumber and leading to decay. I think that it was log decay though.

Scott

+1 on log decay. My opinion - I think Scott is right. A lot of folks may not be aware that even standing healthy looking trees can have some decay. All it takes is a branch to break off and water to seep into the wound to start the decay process. Boards sawn off that area of the log will show some decay like what you have shown in your picture.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Pigment stain + funky wood = the appearance of splotching because of uneven stain absorption. :eek:

A gel stain or a dye may be more forgiving if you've gotta use this wood after re-sanding it up to about 150-180 g.

Also +1 - I think everyone knows my opinion on the nasty 5 letter word STAIN. I stay far away from any type of stain period. I have 0 cans in my shop and will never purchase a can ever again.

Again my opinion... If you want to change the color of wood a much better solution is to lay down toner coats in between seal and finish coats.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Robert, that appears to be decay. I don't think that it is sap wood because there is a streak that crosses several growth rings in the middle. Two potential causes come to mind. First, as indicated by Windy the log could have started to decay before it was milled. Second, some flat stacked lumber could have Bernard exposed to the weather and water migrated into the stack from the end, soaking the lumber and leading to decay. I think that it was log decay though

Scott

The DOCTOR has spoken.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Robert since you are newer to the site I want you to know that both scsmith42 (Scott Smith) and crealbilly (Jeff Mills) are long time saw mill and kiln operators that have been part of NCWW from almost day one. They are our wood experts. Take what they say about wood as gospel.

Other topics maybe not so much. :)

jmauldin

New User
Jim
Looks to me like there are two different ways the boards were cut (rotary and quater). Either way, before staining apply a pre-stain.
Jim in Mayberry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS