What kind of DC setup do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooshball

David
Corporate Member
In my search for cartridge filters I found this site and it scared the heck out of me:
http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/DCConversion.cfm

After reading that site it seems like I could easily spend thousands on the "proper" DC setup. Of course $1000+ vs. my health is an easy choice but at a certain point I have to be reasonable about the costs of my hobby. I currently wear a N95 dual cartridge respirator when I am working and usually put an exhaust fan in the window however after reading that site is seems like if I ever go back into the garage without that respirator on I am still at risk.

Today I bought a 2hp DC from HF and will buy a Wynn filter for it but again, it almost seems like a waste if I don't get all the ducting right and in the right places (and even build / buy a cyclone).

So, how do you all have your DC setup at the tool for your major equipment (table saw, jointer, planer, etc)?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
So, how do you all have your DC setup at the tool for your major equipment (table saw, jointer, planer, etc)?

David.

I too have the HF DC equipped with the Wynn filter. In addition, I added a Thein trashcan separator that will collect the big chips from the jonter, planer and TS. As a result, I only have to empty the bottom bag of the DC about every six months. (If you purchase a Wynn filter, look at picking up some of their clear heavy plastic bags to replace the HF cloth bag.)

I have a 10' foot hose that I attach to each piece of equipment that I am running. (No permanent duct work. I am in a 2-car garage shop.) It works ok for my use.

In addition I hung a JDS air cleaner from the ceiling and run it most all day when I am in the shop. It collects SOME of the finer dust.

When sanding with a ROS, belt/disk sander, biscuit joiner, Kreg jig, router table etc. I hook up a vacuum to collect some of this finer stuff. (Family just bought me a new Fein Turbo II dust extractor and it really does work well!:wsmile:)

This pretty much summarizes my setup. (I too would like to be able to afford a cyclone; but probably not in this lifetime!)

Wayne

ehpoole

Ethan
I use an older 2HP JDS Cyclone (below):

091130_DustCollector.JPG

And a ceiling-mounted JDS ambient air cleaner (upper left of image):

091130_Workshop_01.JPG

All of which have 1-micron filters. For a helpful resource on workshop dust control, you may want to purchase the book "Woodshop Dust Control" by Sandor Nagyszalanczy (ISBN 978-1-56158-499-4)

The cyclone DC combined with a good quality ambient air cleaner really complement one another. The DC helps to keep dust from getting airborne to begin with, while the air cleaner removes dust that manages to get airborne. The most important parameter when shopping for both is the quality of the filtration system -- you absolutely want 1-micron filter material (which will typically filter dust down to 0.3 microns). Dusr above ~10-micron and below 1-micron is generally not a major health threat unless you are allergic to the dust. The dust larger than 10-microns is generally not inhaled into the lungs, and smaller than 1-micron is generally exhaled without entrapment. It's the dust between 1-micron and 10-micron where filter efficiency matters most from a respiratory health perspective. A setup such as that above should (with 1-micron filters) meets those criteria. Of course, a setup such as the above also offers the advantage of maintaining a cleaner shop and reducing the risk of allergic reaction by significantly reducing the amount of airborne dust available for inhaling.

No residential quality ssystem will be 100% perfect, but most quality systems will significantly enhance your enjoyment of woodworkking while also going a long ways to protecting your respiratory health. You will still want to use a N95 or N99 dust mask/respirator when enganging in activities that generate a significant volume of airborne dust that cannot be directly captured by your DC.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Since you bought the HF DC I would do exactly as Canuck said and add a Wynn filter and a Phil Thien style seperator and roll it around from machine to machine. This will grab most of you sawdust, I would also eventually get an air cleaner for the ceiling. If you want a permanent ductwork system, then you will need a larger DC or Cyclone.

Here's some more ino:
http://www.cgallery.com/jpthien/cy.htm
http://www.cycloneseparator.com/5006/5016.html
http://www.benchmark.20m.com/articles/BlastGate/blastgatebuilding.html

Good Luck,
Jimmy

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I started with a couple portable dust collectors and moved them from machine to machine. I finally upgraded to a ClearVue cyclone with two Wynn filters. I ran 6" PVC pipe to my table saw, jointer (12" Grizzly) and I have one that can reach my planer and bandsaw. I also use a Fein Turbo 2 for sanders and Festool TS 55. About the only dust that escapes the DC is some from the table saw blade - it's night and day between the new cyclone and the old portable ones. It's one of the best purchases I've made for the shop.

I still wear a respirator though, you can't be too safe.

M

McRabbet

I also have a ClearVue Cyclone (still not installed, but it is my goal to get it done this summer) and I will build one of these for my table saw when I get the system installed. The pictures are pretty clear and it looks to be an efficient dust pickup accessory. There are other good designs in this second contributor 'danscyclone' album, also from the ClearVue Photo Gallery. Hope this helps.
Anyone collecting dust from the top of the table saw blade?

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
We have a fellow WW down in Little Washington who was/is working on a "top of blade" dust collection system. :icon_thum Hope he brings it to fruition soon! I'm tired of being covered up in sawdust, especially in this heat. None of the other "guard/collectors" that I've seen are really feasible for my shop. :nah: Hoping!!

ALAN, DO YOU HEAR US?!? LOL!
:wsmile:
Anyone collecting dust from the top of the table saw blade?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Nothing new. I haven't made the new longer plexi housing or installed the new bristle brush skirt from McMaster-Carr. Many don't like this setup because it is a dust shroud and NOT a blade guard. It does work well however. (More description and pics in a thread somewhere. pics also in an album in my gallery.)

PB050012.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors