What Happened to Lowe's Plywood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I haven't bought 3/4-inch plywood for shop cabinets in a few months, but I could have sworn that the last that I bought was made here in NC. I went to the Lowe's in Clinton the other day, and found that all of the plywood suitable for cabinets was marked "Made in China."

Did Lowe's quit carrying the locally made plywood or did I just miss it?

Marlin

New User
Marlin
Yea HD has been getting China ply now as well. It is pure junk. Some of the stuff i saw was not good enough to put a shingle on. I saw layers peeling and warpage on a lot of it at HD.

I can;t wait for the day we start getting chinese OSB. That should be some good stuff. :nah:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I agree. Hit or miss!!!:BangHead:

I have seen and bought maple 3/4" ply from a HD in Apex. It really isn't too bad. I believe that it is Columbia Forest products from here in North America.

Avoid Sandyply and Blondewood by all means. Had a 4x8 sheet of blondewood completely delaminate (after they crosscut it in half for me) by the time I got it home!:swoon:

Wayne

Ncdawgs1882

New User
Jonathan
Wait Wait Wait! You mean to tell me that with the Economy the way it is American home building companies dropping like flies & Sawyers & Saw mills Struggling day to day to feed their families......Our two major home improvement stores are selling Sub par wood made in China!!!! Thats just Ridiculous! I promise you one thing I will let them know how I feel about that & hope it trickles up to the big guy in charge! Lets Take care of ours first!:icon_thum

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I agree. Hit or miss!!!:BangHead:

I have seen and bought maple 3/4" ply from a HD in Apex. It really isn't too bad. I believe that it is Columbia Forest products from here in North America.

Avoid Sandyply and Blondewood by all means. Had a 4x8 sheet of blondewood completely delaminate (after they crosscut it in half for me) by the time I got it home!:swoon:

Wayne

should try the paint grade from the hardwood store in gibsonville. i hear they deliver to the raleigh area. i used it before for shop items and its usually one nice side and the other might not look so good but its nice solid stuff. being paint grade, price is alot lower than furniture grade.

Dandie

New User
Dan
Wall Lumber Greensboro area / Horizon Forest products Raleigh Area/ Wurth Group Charlotte area for quality materials reasonably priced.

jimwill48

James
Its really amazing Columbia Forest Products has a Hardwood Plywood manufacturing plant in Old Fort, NC. And we have to buy garbage plywood from China :BangHead:

James

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It's the Wal-Mart effect, guys.....:kamahlitu
I see it every day with customers that want to know why they can't get upfits on offices for bottom dollar when they won't last the 10 years of their lease if we build 'em that way.
"The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
That motto has long been abandoned in the consumer market with BORGs promising to 'beat their competitor's price by 10%'.

Dragon

New User
David
Wait Wait Wait! You mean to tell me that with the Economy the way it is American home building companies dropping like flies & Sawyers & Saw mills Struggling day to day to feed their families......Our two major home improvement stores are selling Sub par wood made in China!!!! Thats just Ridiculous! I promise you one thing I will let them know how I feel about that & hope it trickles up to the big guy in charge! Lets Take care of ours first!:icon_thum

Take it one step further and go to corp. websites and email them directly. Another fine display of "get it cheaper and sell it higher", thereby putting more Americans out a job so the corps. can cry and whine about lost sales and lay even more people off their jobs. Eventually you reach a saturation point where not enough of us are working to buy anything at all and it all goes south at about WARP 10.

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
I now 5 or 6 years ago Lowes got there Hardwood Plywood from a company out of Oregon, They had a factory in Mocksville, NC. They put it here mainly to be closer to Lowes and the furniture manufacturing plants in North Carolina. The last I heard they are planning on closing the factory in Mocksville down around the fist of the year. My guess is they lost there contract with Lowes to a company out of China.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
HD carries both Oak, and Birch, in shop grade, that is made by Columbia Forest Products, at their Old Fort NC facility. Lowes only carries stuff from China now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS