what do you see, is it art or is it firewood?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
I got these boards from Jeff at the last Raleigh lumber run, didn't think much of them other then getting some hardwood for structure stuff.
Ran them through the planer, set them against the wall & forgot about them.
Brought LOML in to the garage a few days ago, to get her opinion on a change for my current project, when she looked at the boards and said she saw a shape.

So here's what she saw, what do you see?
interesting_Maple_view_1.JPG

So I decided to flip the boards, and switch one to the other side:
interesting_Maple_view_2.JPG

Call it art, :eusa_thin call it random cracks, :icon_scra call it firewood :dontknow:...

I think it's interesting to get different perspectives on everything.
Regards,
Mike

b4man

New User
Barbara
If those were mine, I'd frame them individually and hang them side by side. I think they are beautiful just as they are.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Too nice for firewood!!!!!!!!!! I like Barbaras idea. Those boards definitely have a beauty of their own. You can't mess with mother nature.

Jerry

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Yeah, I was thinking that as well, there's just a certain beauty about them. I like the idea of maybe jointing them together & make a table top out them, but the lines go completely through the boards at some points, especially in the middle, so the strength is compromised.
Still trying to figure out what to do to strengthen it up without destroying the pattern... :icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra

Actually LOML had the same idea as Barbara :widea:

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Yeah, I was thinking that as well, there's just a certain beauty about them. I like the idea of maybe jointing them together & make a table top out them, but the lines go completely through the boards at some points, especially in the middle, so the strength is compromised.
Still trying to figure out what to do to strengthen it up without destroying the pattern... :icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra

Actually LOML had the same idea as Barbara :widea:

Mike-----------the cracks can be filled with clear(or tinted) epoxy. If you use some cross braces (much like floor joist) underneath the table top strength should be there with no problem----------even with a 200 lb hog for the pig pickin':gar-Bi.

Jerry

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Mike-----------the cracks can be filled with clear(or tinted) epoxy. If you use some cross braces (much like floor joist) underneath the table top strength should be there with no problem----------even with a 200 lb hog for the pig pickin':gar-Bi.

Jerry

That's right!! I should have thought about that since I've done the same thing to fill in knot holes.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks for reminding me Jerry. :icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee:icon_chee

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Table top will be nice, I'm sure, but if those were mine, I'd make something vertical out of them. Wall hanging? End of a cabinet? That way it's visible and easily seen. Table top might get covered up.

M2CW

:wsmile:

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Right now what I see is wood with the potential to be both. Looks like the final result is in your hands!!
BTW, Jeff has been known to create quandaries of this kind in the past. I think its a little known reverse effect on the flat-siders from the dark force, seeing rounded shapes best defined in flat surfaces, but I will leave it to him to elucidate, as he channels the wisdom of the wood most eloquently.

Go

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Right now what I see is wood with the potential to be both. Looks like the final result is in your hands!!
BTW, Jeff has been known to create quandaries of this kind in the past. I think its a little known reverse effect on the flat-siders from the dark force, seeing rounded shapes best defined in flat surfaces, but I will leave it to him to elucidate, as he channels the wisdom of the wood most eloquently.

Go

fighting00401.gif

:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:

tjwitzig

New User
Tom
Mike:

When I saw those the first thing I thought to use them for was as door panels in a Krenov- or Craftsman-style cabinet, either wall-hung or free-standing. They seem to be of good size, so you maybe could get doors for two or more cabinets. Let's say two nice tool cabinets for you and a bathroom cabinet for your wife :wink_smil. If they're thick enough, resaw them and get even more!

Cheers,
Tom

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
They'd make a nice door for a chimney cabinet. If they are thick enough, they could make paneled sides and the door. Post pics when you're done!

J

jeff...

Funny - I don't remember those two particular pieces :icon_scra But funny shapes, images and sometimes even faces happen when I play around with book match sawing. It took me a while to figure out how to do it. Sorry about those checks - Till I get more experience it's really hard for me to judge what a board will look like one the other side of the kiln.

You could stabilize the checks with clear epoxy.

I'm still waiting for Misty / Mohan / Mosey and Moose maple to show up.

P10100066.JPG

P10100057.JPG

P10100058.JPG

P10100067.JPG

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Funny - I don't remember those two particular pieces :icon_scra But funny shapes, images and sometimes even faces happen when I play around with book match sawing. It took me a while to figure out how to do it. Sorry about those checks - Till I get more experience it's really hard for me to judge what a board will look like one the other side of the kiln.

I'm still waiting for Misty / Mohan / Mosey and Moose maple to show up.

P10100066.JPG

A squid

P10100057.JPG

A velociraptor

P10100058.JPG

A grumpy old man
P10100067.JPG

A Hippo

Thanks

:nah: Naw, I don't see nothing in those boards. You're sniffin' diesel fumes again :rolleyes:

nightshade

New User
Janet
I think they are gorgeous. I really love the pattern. I would definently try to build something with it. :icon_thum

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member

No worries about the checks, they were obvious when I grabbed the boards.
Like I said, I was just looking at them for smaller items, like jigs & various internal structer pieces. Until LOML told me otherwise :nah:.

Yep, I'll definitely look at stablizing everything with clear epoxy & clamps, when I get around to doing something with them.
I think I'll use them as doors instead of a table top. Would be a better way to display the figure :icon_thum:icon_thum.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll definitely post pictures when I get around to doing something with them.

Regards,
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors