what are your favorite non-stationary tool advancements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
Sharpening. My Work Sharp 3000 and Veritas honing guide. As a relative newbie I was so intimidated by all of the information and techniques for sharpening, especially when dealing with a a tool that had been abused. (I like getting bargains at auctions, estate sales, and garage sales) I use the Work Sharp to get things in shape and then the Veritas guide to provide a quick tune up when needed. ving this tool help me to get my tools to the point where for the most part a quick hand.

BTW - I love the idea of the Festool innovations and quality but I have not yet been able to justify the additional expense.

1-11_jan_stool_2018_002.JPG

1-11_jan_stool_2018_005.JPG

Matt if you like the WS and Veritas guide, you will go wild with this upgrade. To alter the angle of the hone or grind, simply turn the knob. Where this tool is in a class of its own is rolling it fore and aft with the chisel locked down working the full length of a diamond plate. Its pretty nice.​

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I hate the mess that a chop saw makes. I have one, but haven't used it in well over a year, maybe two! I picked up a used Sheppach Track Saw and I love this thing! It's track can sit and grip the wood well enough that clamps aren't necessary. The dust collection if phenomenal! Next I'd say my Mini Dust Deputy Cyclone. I used to broom sweep my floor after a project, but hated the airborne dust. Now I either use my fixed Dust Collector or I use the Shop Vac fitted with the Mini Dust Deputy. I'm not burning through filter bags anymore and it works extremely well with my small portable power tools that create that airborne dust!

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Surprised no one mentioned this: Self releasing collets on routers. Second is Ridgid LSA for hand tools. I bought my first drill kit from Ridgid in 2008. Replaced the batteries twice under LSA. When I was working full time, most months I would put more wear on my drills in a month, than hobbiest would in a year. HF multi tool. Apollo HPLV spray gun. Price drop on pneumatic nailers. When I bought my first bad nailer, it was close to $100. Now I can buy several for that. Polyurathane air hoses. So much lighter than rubber. Don't forget LI batteries.

Last edited:

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
5" random orbit sanders are my most used tools in the shop; they sure help to prepare my stock before cutting.

redknife

New User
Chris
The track saw is the top of my list.
Here’s an off the beaten path advancement: small bright led flashlight. Great for surface and finish evaluation.
I really enjoy the cordless 12v hackzall and 18v oscillating tools. Of course those get used for house projects rather than woodworking in particular. I feel like I can do quick precise work with both. The lack of a cord coupled with light weight for both allow free approach angles and more of a sculpting movement where necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors