what are your favorite non-stationary tool advancements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I am curious about how/which innovative new generation tools have become a game changer for you. How do they make you more efficient or improve your craftsmanship? I am looking specifically for feedback on tools like the domino, track saws, Vac Sys, joinery systems, or a great shooting plane. For example, I continue to be impressed by the torque and lasting power of my 'new' Makita drill & driver set (3 years old already, batteries still lasting impressively long). I am also interested in how you might have modified or adapted an older tool with some new equipment that has resulted in a substantial advancement for you - i.e. upfitting an old Stanley Bedrock with a modern blade, etc...

For the sake of this discussion let's avoid talking about stationary power tools like table saws and the like.

So let's hear about your favorites and why you like them - thanks

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Stuart - Not that these have improved my craftsmanship (and there is lots of room for improvement there), but two things come to mind for me. These are mostly for construction or home repair applications. Maybe a bit further a filed of what you were hoping for...

1. Impact driver - with my easily triggered carpal tunnel like symptoms (self diagnosed) I don't use a framing hammer if I can avoid it. I have used screws and my impact driver to 'frame' new walls, and for virtually every other threaded fastener application (both in the shop and outside). $100 Ridgid 12V package with drill, 2 batteries, and a charger as a Christmas time special. LOVE this tool. I have recommended an impact driver to many of my friends for household repair and usage - and those that get one have loved it too. Limits the stripping of screw heads in either driving or removal. Powerful, and with a Li ion batteries it is always ready to go and quick to charge.

2. Oscillating saw - cutting and modifying very small pieces of trim work (less than 2" long) is made SAFE by use of an oscillating saw (not fast mind you, but safe). I can hold a small piece of trim in my hand and cut it with this saw, and not be worried about my fingers - can't do that with any other type of saw. I also like this saw for drywall plunge cuts since I don't have a rotozip type tool.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
For me, the "Ah Ha" moment was when I bought a Festool Random Orbit Sander and dust extractor (vacuum). After years of using ordinary sanders w/ no dust control, this was a game changer for me (and my lungs).

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Ditto what HenryW said. My battery powered impact driver is one of my most used tools. The oscillating tool does not get used as much, but is really handy when needed.

I would add to the list upgraded honing guides like the Veritas Mark II, and diamond sharpening "stones". Definitely has improved the sharpening stage of my hand planing both in terms of time spent and accuracy/repeatability.

Go

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Biggest game changer for me is my DeWalt track saw. I use a little Ryobi BT3100 table saw and previously had it set up with extension rails to give me ~60 inch rip capacity. But it didn't fit within my last shop well and would not have fit this one at all. So when I moved, the extension rails came off. I already had the track saw and knew that was preferable. I use it to cut up sheet goods but also drywall and solid lumber. I use the router attachment to make long dados. If you have a small shop, I think a track saw is almost a must have tool.

I also really like my Bosch DEVS1250 sander. I am using it right now to edge a small area of floor I am refinishing (a small bedroom and hallway). It isn't fast but in the turbo mode, it is doable. I used it on clapboard siding to remove paint. Dust collection is quite good. Speed is almost the same as a belt sander. Flip to RO mode and results are as good as a much less powerful sander. Smooth enough you are not beat up after using it an hour or more and you can use it one handed.

I also like my Fein oscillating tool. I have a HF and a cordless Ryobi but I use the Fein the most. It's stoke is longer so it cuts faster and it also vibrates less. For a little drywall cut, I still use the Ryobi but if I have real work to do, I use the Fein. I have set it up so it takes a Festool plunge cut base and stops. I used the plunge base to cut a 3 inch square hole in a stair tread (1 inch oak). Very precise cut. I would not want to try and cut 1 inch oak with my other oscillating tools either - too slow even with a good blade.

My shoulder plane (Stanley) also really helps my tenons. I can almost get them precise enough on the table saw. Dealing with that last tiny amount is very challenging without the plane. With it, it is few seconds work.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Like Bill most of my innovative tools are Festool brand. Domino, sanders with great dust collection, track saw and plunge router that uses the same track. All make things easier and more accurate.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have to add a vote for my impact driver. I used a drill for driving screws for many years with the usual stripped screw heads. The impact driver has eleimated most if not all stripping situations, especially when removing screws. Along with that goes improved battery technologies eliminating nicad memory issues.

Thien baffles on outboard collection barrels have really improved dust and chip collection for me. I use large shop vacs and rarely have to change the filters since adding Thiens.

Finally, CBN wheels on slow speed grinders for sharpening lathe tools. Cooler for the tools, no dust, no more truing wheels.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
Festool Track saw was huge improvement for me, I don't have space for a table saw, and it lets me accurately cut large boards. I bought mine for recycling the doors from downtown raleigh, (ughh brain freeze can't think of who gave them to us) the cuts are good enough I could glue up without doing anything else to them. Combined with the Festool dust collector it's really changed what I can accomplish in my small shop. And like Bill, I added the orbital sander to my Festool collection and amazed by the difference it makes.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
Sharpening. My Work Sharp 3000 and Veritas honing guide. As a relative newbie I was so intimidated by all of the information and techniques for sharpening, especially when dealing with a a tool that had been abused. (I like getting bargains at auctions, estate sales, and garage sales) I use the Work Sharp to get things in shape and then the Veritas guide to provide a quick tune up when needed. ving this tool help me to get my tools to the point where for the most part a quick hand.

BTW - I love the idea of the Festool innovations and quality but I have not yet been able to justify the additional expense.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
[gloat] I'm sure the Domino I'm getting next month will change things for me..............[/gloat]

LOL

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I replaced the carpet upstairs with LL hardwood, I refused to remove the banister base. The small Bosch router with a grooving bit allowed me to run the maple flooring into the oak base. A couple of strips of pre-cut tongue from LL made the job smooth.

I, too, am a fan of the impact driver. I've had my Makita drill and driver for over 10 years and have just now noticed the batteries are not holding there charge as long as when they were new.

Last edited:

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Two tools come to mind: 1) Hammer drill; 2) Oscillating Multi-Tool. Both of these have made work easier, faster, and safer.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Matt, I have a worksharp 3000 and like it a lot too. But your Festool comment is also something I align with. My Bosch 1250DEVS is the rough equivalent of the Festoon Rotex 150 for about half the price. I'm sure the Festool must be better in some ways but I can't see the 2X price factor being justified. That's the way I ended up with a DeWalt track saw. My Fein multi tool with the Festool plunge base adds up to roughly half the Festool multi tool with base.

I see good logic in the "buy it once and enjoy it" logic but I align better with the "equivalent performance for half the price" viewpoint. I get burned sometimes and have to buy more than once.

If you look hard enough, there are lots of tools where you can have very close to Festool performance, maybe sometimes even better performance, for less cost. But then you have the integration factor too...

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Almost all of the things mentioned already. But for me the ah ha item was one of the oldest. A router plane. In my case the Veritas.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
The price is absurd, but the Veritas combination plane is great. The beefy fence rods ensure perfect parallelism, fence has microadjust, nickers work great for cross-grain work, works ambidexterously for a lefty like me. A+

nn4jw

New User
Jim
The price is absurd, but the Veritas combination plane is great. The beefy fence rods ensure perfect parallelism, fence has microadjust, nickers work great for cross-grain work, works ambidexterously for a lefty like me. A+

I've drooled over that one a number of times, but resisted since I have 2 Stanley 45's I've restored and a Stanley 55 sitting on the bench to be restored.

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
this is good stuff all, let's keep it going. I am interested in hearing from more folks!

and in the spirit of throwing ideas back in, I am adding two tools that have been total game changers for me: Makita cordless track saw and the Lie Nielson block plane. Both are rock solid and actually make life easier. i bought the Makita because I am already in their battery ethos and have been very satisfied with the various tools that I have in their cordless system. I can't see how the Festool could be any better - and I like/use some Festool gear.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
My favorite 1 of 2 is the Bosch Colt Router. I am pretty sure its been used on every project since Ipurchased it. My second choice is a Fein Vacumn. I did not have the funds at the time to purchase Festool so I went with the recomendation from a class I took in the mountains to go with the Fein Vac. Sanding in the shop is dust free now

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I've drooled over that one a number of times, but resisted since I have 2 Stanley 45's I've restored and a Stanley 55 sitting on the bench to be restored.

Jim if you have a good 55, you can do more than the Veritas plane. The 55 is so much better than the 45.

Wish I had one.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS