West Penn hardwoods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danagawa

New User
D
After reading about West Penn Hardwoods in a thread that JJsWoodshop wrote I decided to go visit and was blown away by the selection. They have a whole warehouse of turning blanks and another warehouse of lumber and slabs. The turning blanks was the best selection that I have ever ran across and I felt the prices were fair. I bought some cocobolo, East Indian rosewood, and bocote. They had a ton of everything and they let u go through it and pick out the piece u want. They had a lot of exotic and domestic lumber that I plan on checking out in the future. Another thing that impressed me was the natural edge slabs. They had over a dozen kinds of trees slabs. I felt like the prices were good on those. The figures cherry was amazing and a good price, I am planning on going back and getting some of that. The only thing that I did not see was sheet goods. The store is located in Conover which is right next to hickory. They just moved from New York and it seems everyone working there moved down from New York with the business and seemed happy working there. Also he people were very friendly and checked on us regularly. I am not connected to this store in any way, I just felt others on here would be interested.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
I went looking for more info:

West Penn Hardwoods
1405 Deborah Herman Rd.
Conover, NC 28613

MON-FRI: 8AM-5PM
SAT: 9AM-1PM

FON: (828) 322-WOOD (9663)
FAX: (828) 322-2369

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
+ someone on the BOD needs to talk to them about being a potential sponsor.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Right in my backyard! There was a West Penn Hardwoods in NW Pennsylvania, my old stomping grounds. I wonder if there is a connection? They were a major player in a major hardwoods industry area, around Spartansburg, Pennsylvania.

KHageman

New User
Ken
Will have to visit West Penn in Conover. Not that far away. I find their prices are on the high side when compared to most other suppliers. Maybe their wood is just that much better?

Danagawa

New User
D
I think the prices were fair for turning stock. The slabs were priced well I thought. It is worth checking out

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Right in my backyard! There was a West Penn Hardwoods in NW Pennsylvania, my old stomping grounds. I wonder if there is a connection? They were a major player in a major hardwoods industry area, around Spartansburg, Pennsylvania.

Bruce per their ad they just moved to NC from Olean, NY which is in western NY near the PA border. I have seen their ads before in the scrollsaw magazines so might well be worth a look see.

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
They do have thinner stock in various exotic species. It is not far off of I-40 at exit 130.

Steve H.

Last edited:

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Looks like a cool place. I'll have to hit it someday. Thanks for posting.

Red

WestPenn

New User
WestPenn
Thanks for all the kind words! We have been operating in New York for 20 years and are really excited to be in Conover now. If you go to our website and go to the About Us section you can read the history of our company. We look forward to serving you all and we will be a banner advertiser for the site, just waiting for it to be posted.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Welcome WestPenn. I will stop in on my next trip your way. Looks great.

Red

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Bruce per their ad they just moved to NC from Olean, NY which is in western NY near the PA border. I have seen their ads before in the scrollsaw magazines so might well be worth a look see.

That was just 2 counties east of my old haunts, and a place I've been often. Small city, in the very rural, beautiful western portion of New York State. Hardwood industry is a major economic engine there. I even had a sawmill for fun and poverty in my barnyard, before the Amish immigration undermined the profit potential

J.Clanton

New User
Jesse
I made the trip up to West Penn Saturday with Danagawa (thats me and my twins sitting on that huge ebony log in his original post) Not too far from Statesville where I live.
I was very impressed with the selection here, tons of wood. Lots of size option in turning stock and a huge variety. All priced pretty well. large enough selection that you get to be really picky about each piece. Also had a huge selection of slab and lumber in various sizes. Exotic and domestic. Staff was very helpful and checked on us frequently and all seemed very knowledgeable. I will be making a trip back for sure, glad to have a place like this so close. I know there are woodworkers in the area so making sure i get the word out. I had only just heard about the place last week.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
They are now advertising on our website. The Banner ad is in the current rotation with Klingspor and The Woodworking Source. Please support all of our advertising partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS