Well the brown paper glue up....

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
didn't hold to well this time - and I even let it dry over night - I was turning a "weed pot" and when I got it round rough it just popped off - so I decided to turn this out of the piece of Cherry scrape that I used to glue it to - I had this piece glued to a larger piece without the brown paper - when I got through woth it I took my Coping saw a parted it off with that= do not understand why it didn't hold - that method done well when I turned the Sapele bowl over the weekend:dontknow:

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Did you use a brown paper bag?
Did you put titebond on both sides of the paper?
Is your tools sharp?
I do this all the time right now I have a large heavy item on a faceplate with brown paper (and I only let it set for 15 mins).

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Did you use a brown paper bag? Yes

Did you put titebond on both sides of the paper? Yes

Is your tools sharp? Yes

I do this all the time right now I have a large heavy item on a faceplate with brown paper (and I only let it set for 15 mins).
That is what I did Saturday with the Sepele and it worked fine - Don't know what I did different this time - I will try again this weekend - I ain't giving up:icon_thum

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I guess I am just lucky or something, I get a better mount with paper then with one of my chucks.
Maybe I just live right :no:

This is mounted on a little 3 1/2" faceplate with paper.

ready_to_turn.jpg

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
What kind of wood didn't stick to the paper? Maybe it was too oily or too green. I have had success by just turning the waste piece just a little concave, gluing with thin CA. Then when finished, use a chisel to pop the turned item off the waste piece by tapping the chisel in the joint with a hammer.

FuzzWuzz16

New User
Jim Fossler
Philip,
I'm guessing that if you were turning a weed pot you had an end grain glue up. With any weed pots I have turned I use the branch or small log on the lathe with the grain running from the headstock to the tailstock. If that is the case, you have a very weak glue up and it will likely fail every time.

If that is not the case, then I'm puzzled, too. I'll be interested find out what caused it.
Jim

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I used to use the paper and glue method a lot, thirty years ago.

For something long and slender like a weed pot, make a glue up with a two or three inch thick scrap. Then turn a recess to fit the weed pot stock. Glue it in and turn away.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Philip,
I'm guessing that if you were turning a weed pot you had an end grain glue up. With any weed pots I have turned I use the branch or small log on the lathe with the grain running from the headstock to the tailstock. If that is the case, you have a very weak glue up and it will likely fail every time.

If that is not the case, then I'm puzzled, too. I'll be interested find out what caused it.
Jim

Jim this could be the problem - because I was trying to turn the glue up stack that I have to make a few more for a friend of mine that bought the other one I made awhile back - It was end grain - but my tool was sharp and it was cutting good - At least I thought it was:dontknow:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
What kind of wood didn't stick to the paper? Maybe it was too oily or too green. I have had success by just turning the waste piece just a little concave, gluing with thin CA. Then when finished, use a chisel to pop the turned item off the waste piece by tapping the chisel in the joint with a hammer.

It was Cherry but I think that Jim might have hit the nail on the head - I was turning end grain so it might have been running a little to rough while I was rough cutting to get it round

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I guess I am just lucky or something, I get a better mount with paper then with one of my chucks.
Maybe I just live right :no:

This is mounted on a little 3 1/2" faceplate with paper.

ready_to_turn.jpg

Wow Earl that is going to be one nice bowl - I noticed that it is flat grain where I was turning end grain when it came off - that might have something to do with it:dontknow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS