Wedding present: cherry burl salt & pepper shakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
My step-son finally pulled the trigger at 32 and is getting married. I made him and his fiance a cherry burl bowl to celebrate the engagement, so the wedding present is a salt & pepper set, also out of cherry burl. The shakers are drop-in inserts from Rockler. total height is 3 1/4". Sanded to 2000 grit. Finish is one coat of Lin-Speed finish.

GrantShakers.jpg

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Beautiful work! Where iw a pic of the bowl? (I may have missed it in a earlier post.)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very nice. The black rings around the pepper shaker are a very nice touch to tell them apart at a glance without having to examine the top holes. How is that done?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
VERY nice!
LOML just mentioned she wanted a new salt and pepper shaker - you just provided some inspiration!

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Very nice. The black rings around the pepper shaker are a very nice touch to tell them apart at a glance without having to examine the top holes. How is that done?

Ken: after you are all done sanding, ramp up the speed on the lathe and then hold a piece of wire cable down on top of the line and hold it down tight. the friction creates heat, heat will make a perfect scorch line. Woodcraft sells three different sizes of piano wire that has a wooden ball to hold on to it. I also made one more that was a little thicker diameter (braided steel cable) and put T-handles on each end. Make the cable about 18" if you are going to make one yourself, and anchor the wire ends securely on each end. I always use gloves, as that heat can radiate down the cable very quickly. It takes about 20-30 sec. to do it.

Dave Peterson

New User
Dave
Beautiful work! Where is a pic of the bowl? (I may have missed it in a earlier post.)

I actually DID make a bowl for the couple when they first got engaged. My step-son is 32 and I really thought he was 'alter-shy'. I gave them the bowl last summer. This is also cherry burl, and I put in turquoise inlace along the top rim. They loved it! I don't remember the dimensions, but it was about 5" or 6" diameter. It looks like i was a little sloppy with the turquoise, but it is perfectly flush with the wood. It slopped over just a little in spots, due to faults in the wood.

CherryTurquoise.jpg

MagGeorge

New User
George
Lovely salt and pepper shakers! Great shape, the burl is gorgeous and awesome finish. A great wedding present that the new couple will enjoy. Great job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors