Waterborne Finish over oil based stain

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I've ordered some Target USL waterborne lac and was curious about what I can use for stain. I have been using water soluble dye recently and have been happy with the results. I do have a stock of oil based stains and was wondering can I use the target spary lac over let's say a Minwax stain?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan C.

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Dan,

I do not think that I would do that. Call Target and ask for technical support to make sure. I think you will need to use a water based stain.

John

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You can spray the Target over the WB dyes without issues. For that matter, I have taken to adding the dyes to the USL and spraying it as a toner and then clear coating. It has worked very well with no splotching for me on pine and maple (hard and soft).

As for the oil based stains, I haven't done it, but I have sprayed USL over BLO without any issues.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You can easily spray a water-based top coat over a oil-based stain as long as you let it cure fully. I just recently did it with Varathane oil-based stain and GF Polyacrylic as a top coat.I gave it about a week to cure up right.
Dave:)

dancam

Dan
Corporate Member
I checked out the Target website and also their user forum and it seems there are positive comments about the ability to use the USL over oil based stains. The major caveat is to let it cure at least 48 hours.

I also posted a question to Jeff W (head tech guy at Target) asking the same question.

I'm waiting on the delivery of the USL and I'll test drive both the Earlex 5000 and the waterborne lac and post a review.

Dan C.

rbdoby

New User
Rick
I spray WB poly over oil based stains a lot. Just give the oil based stain ample time to dry completely. Usually 24 to 48 hours.

Rick Doby

John Reeves

John Reeves
Corporate Member
Dan,

I have spoken with Jeff Weiss several times but I have not gotten him to respond to email. You will probably have to call him, ask for technical support.

They moved last week and are ow getting settled a bit more.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors