Water ring fixes on wood finish

Ward Green

Ward
Senior User
I need to fix some water rings/ water staining on a piano bench. I have seen a few wood worker style fixes (if the finish is shellac) on YouTube and some trendy TikTok style quick fix options (for example with a clothes iron). I would like to see if there is a consensus choice. Please share your experiences on how to fix the wood finish or if using a clothes iron has worked for you.

NCJim

Jim
User
Sand off finish to bare wood. Try wood bleach: follow directions but dilute the first application.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
I need to fix some water rings/ water staining on a piano bench. I have seen a few wood worker style fixes (if the finish is shellac) on YouTube and some trendy TikTok style quick fix options (for example with a clothes iron). I would like to see if there is a consensus choice. Please share your experiences on how to fix the wood finish or if using a clothes iron has worked for you.
How about some photos. Many opinions but not much on recommendations.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I'm watching this thread with interest. I'd love to see some before and after photos plus what method was successful.

Jvsquare

New User
Jim
If it's just whitening of the finish due to moisture I've had good results with Liberon's ring remover solution.

wsrhue

wyattspeightrhue
User
I have had luck with mayonnaise believe it or not. Barkeepers Friend is another suggestion.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors