Warm Weather = Shop Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Well, well, finally some decent weather and I took advantage of it this weekend.:banana: My big slab that I've been working has a couple of siblings that have been sitting in a wooden crate for quite some time. The ground finally dried out enough for me to get down there and retrieve them yesterday. I started working with one of them, which was cut from the bigger slab to reduce its original thickness. My middle daughter spotted it last summer:crossedlips: and asked if I could make her a table. Here's the beginning stage of router planing it smooth.

SANY0064.JPG

As of today, it's ready for me to start applying the BLO and getting ready for some sanding. Sorry, no pics of that yet but rest assured, I spent all afternoon routing on it to get both sides evened out and 99% of the chainsaw marks removed.

Next up, I cut this stump well over a year ago and had no plan to do anything with it.:dontknow:
Now, it has a "plan" for it.:icon_thum It's been sitting out in the weather for quite some time and had grown some pretty hefty fungus all over it. The pith is pretty much rotted out too but that only makes things more interesting for me.:BangHead: I'll semi-hollow it out and get rid of all the gunk, de-bark it, and stabilize the punky areas. My "plan" for this is to make it the base for the smaller slab.

Here's the stump on the workbench with my router/planer jig raised up to level the root end down. At the point, the router itself is eye level to me and I'm 6' in my socks.

SANY0066.JPG

Some serious stretching and toe dancing to get this job done. Yeah, I'm working on a better plan for stuff like this but that is still in the thinking stages for now. Once I get the root end leveled out, I'll cut it down to somewhere around 10" to 14" in height and test-fit the slab top.

I did tackle a couple of other projects but I haven't quite perfected them yet so no pics forthcoming on those for now. All total, I estimate I produced around 50lbs. of sawdust and router shavings over two days.:eek: Yep, ankle deep in it as usual.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
All total, I estimate I produced around 50lbs. of sawdust and router shavings over two days.:eek: Yep, ankle deep in it as usual.

.....and it looks like you're loving every minute of it! :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
pretty slabs! it's been nice gittin back in the shop and not freezing!:gar-La;

Dragon

New User
David
Nice work David! Man, I bet you go through some router bits! :swoon:

Well, we'll soon find out. I've just recently been able to get this sled/frame get-up working. I do spend quite a bit of my Monday through Friday evenings honing bits though. That Maple when dried gets quite hard and don't like being whittled on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors