Wanted 8/4 Hard Maple

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Need 12-15 bd ft of 8/4 hard maple. Neighbor wants a bread kneading board 24” square by 1 3/4” thick.
Klingspor is out of 8/4 and I hate to drive to Gibsonville for such a small amount.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Wellll…. nobody says you have to limit your purchase! As long as you’re in Gibsonville, I wager there’s something else you could find.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Need 12-15 bd ft of 8/4 hard maple. Neighbor wants a bread kneading board 24” square by 1 3/4” thick.
Klingspor is out of 8/4 and I hate to drive to Gibsonville for such a small amount.
I expect Capitol City Lumber has what you need.

joemartinez316

New User
Joe
Hi David. I have some 8/4 Hard Maple in stock. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience. I'm Holly Springs. Thanks!

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Every time I have shopped at Capital I leave with a bad taste in my mouth.
I seemed to recall that you did not like Cap City, but thought I'd suggest it anyways.
It is my primary supplier of wood (I'm a low volume buyer), in part b/c I live so close. I have not had an issues that they have not been able to resolve. To each their own.

David Turner

David
Corporate Member
Henry: My biggest problem with Capital is that they thickness plane their 4/4 wood down to 3/4" finished. When I build period furniture, I need one side perfectly flat across the jointer and then I finish to thickness. I believe they do it, so the customer has to buy thicker lumber to get flat straight pieces. I have to buy 5/4 (they have milled it to 1" thickness) to get flat 3/4" stock.
David

Robert LaPlaca

Robert
Senior User
David, I am not a fan of S2S either. Cannot say I am wild about skip planned, but I can kind of understand why the yard skip planes.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry: My biggest problem with Capital is that they thickness plane their 4/4 wood down to 3/4" finished. When I build period furniture, I need one side perfectly flat across the jointer and then I finish to thickness. I believe they do it, so the customer has to buy thicker lumber to get flat straight pieces. I have to buy 5/4 (they have milled it to 1" thickness) to get flat 3/4" stock.
David
Understood David.
One reason I have lived without a jointer is that I buy (mostly) S2S material... and there's the fundamental difference in why I like the choices offered there and you find it doesn't work for you. Good thing we do have choices in this area for hardwood suppliers.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors