Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm cheating, and fixing this first post. Don't ask, sometimes I submit things before my brain digests the thoughts.

If you would like to serve on the Shop Crawl Committee (SCC), just let me know. PM me or post in this thread. We are winging it. So, if you want to help us shape the committee, this will be a fun time to be a member.

This is NOT a request for shops to be on a Crawl, this is for the organization committee.

Rest assured, once we get our act together, a plea for shops will go out!

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: Show Crawl Committee Volunteer Sign Up Sheet

Okay I am in. My shop is in NE Raleigh. Going along with Bas' idea, possibly each shop owner could demo some aspect of woodworking. If anybody would be interested I could demo various methods to steam bend wood and if time allowed everybody could take a try at bending a cane or whatever.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member

Phil, that would be SUPER cool!!

I may be in dependant on the dates and if we do or don't want repeats..

Lets see.... What will I demo......... Wide belt sanding? Shaper? Suggestions?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

Okay I am in. My shop is in NE Raleigh. Going along with Bas' idea, possibly each shop owner could demo some aspect of woodworking. If anybody would be interested I could demo various methods to steam bend wood and if time allowed everybody could take a try at bending a cane or whatever.

Man, that would be AWESOME! Definitely looking forward to that (date permitting). :icon_thum

I think the only thing I could demo at my shop is how to fit a bunch of cars into a small parking lot. :gar-La;

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Eek, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize this form got posted.

I was playing with the Form tool, then got distracted by a leaf falling from a tree....

But, cat's out of the gate!

More details to come soon.

Jim

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy

I would be up for showing a low budget small space shop if there is interest. Any demo would probably be neander - splitting staves from a log or large limb; maybe the flip side of Phil's bending - how to shape wood so it bends and then returns to its original shape. One power toy I have that some folks may want to try is a reciprocating carver.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member

What is the volunteering for - the committee or being a host on the crawl? Or both?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Thanks so much! We hope to have a sign up sheet for Shops posted soon. Give us a few days, and we'll make sure to come back to your kind offer.

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Thanks to you too!

As I mentioned to Phil we'll have a Shop sign up sheet soon.

Thanks!
Jim

I would be up for showing a low budget small space shop if there is interest. Any demo would probably be neander - splitting staves from a log or large limb; maybe the flip side of Phil's bending - how to shape wood so it bends and then returns to its original shape. One power toy I have that some folks may want to try is a reciprocating carver.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Sweet! Again, hopefully we'll get some sing up sheets up in the next few days.

Thanks!
Jim

Phil, that would be SUPER cool!!

I may be in dependant on the dates and if we do or don't want repeats..

Lets see.... What will I demo......... Wide belt sanding? Shaper? Suggestions?

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Thanks, my bad. I was playing with the Form tool and didn't clean up my mess.

This is a call for Committee volunteers.

Jim

What is the volunteering for - the committee or being a host on the crawl? Or both?

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jim, I am willing to help on the SCC. As I have never attended one of the crawls, I do not know what worked and what did not so all I can do is add my ideas and assistance. phil

CarvedTones

Andy

What does it entail to be a committee member?

I am willing to help, but a lot of my weekends are tied up.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon

Jim,
Since you once saved me from a weekend of work fixing my table saw, I would be glad to help plan or otherwise add opinions (i never have too few of those) to the fire. Count me in.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

Andy, I wish I could tell you.

My thought on the topic is the Committee will create a series of forms and steps to make organizing a shop crawl easier.

We also would do the fun work of laying out schedules, directions and planning the day.

Doug Robinson used to do all this solo, and it was a lot of work. I hope to break it into smaller tasks and split the work up among the members.

My hope is we get crawls to a point where we could do them at least quarterly. With Bas's idea of what I like to call Micro-Crawls, maybe even more.

Hope that gives you enough to chew on. :gar-La;

Jim

What does it entail to be a committee member?

I am willing to help, but a lot of my weekends are tied up.

CarvedTones

Andy

Jim,

Yeah, go ahead and sign me up. I can keep lists and make calls as long as there is someone whose responsibilities include asking Andy if he has his lists updated and has made his calls every now and then. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors