Want to antique..

Status
Not open for further replies.

lottathought

New User
Michael
I am about to start finishing my bookcase.

Are there any good how-to's on finishing?
Specifically, I am looking to paint it white, with a yellow aged, and a little distressed look.

It is plywood and the front is trimmed in poplar that has never been painted.
I am looking for more of a Cape Cod, cottage, antiqued look.

Currently, I am considering something similar to what I did with the coffee table...only this needs to be white with a little aged yellowing.

I am thinking that if I just paint it white.
Then a little sanding on the edges to age it a little.
Then a couple of coats of shellac to yellow it up, then it should look close to what I am looking for.

Any ideas or opinions?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I am thinking that if I just paint it white.
Then a little sanding on the edges to age it a little.
Then a couple of coats of shellac to yellow it up, then it should look close to what I am looking for.

Any ideas or opinions?

That is exactly what I was going to suggest, with two additions. I would also consider distressing it a little by denting the wood with a set of old keys on the end of a stick. And applying a little stain to the areas where you sand through the paint to bare wood to give a greater contrast and the illusion that there is something other than Poplar or plywood underneath the paint.
Dave:)

lottathought

New User
Michael
Oh..good ideas.

What stain will give poplar a nice, dark look?
And will it be hard to get the residue stain off the surrounding paint so it does not look like I stained it?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's the same treatment that I did on this step stool for my niece, without the beating and shellac yellowing.

Finishedstepstool005.jpg

I had no problem wiping the stain off the painted surfaces. I don't remember what type of stain I used, I'm sure it was whatever I had on hand. Any medium to dark brown colored stain should do it.
YMMV,
Dave:)

jglord

New User
John
Woodcraft carries a General Finishes Glaze effects designed to do what you seem to want. Check this link. On this page there is a link some more complete instructions.

Rocker

New User
John
I'd suggest you first stain the bare wood with a dark wood stain. Then take a wax candle and rub the candle on the edges where you want the "wear" to show. Then paint on the white paint. When the paint is dry, just rub off the paint in the areas that you rubbed the wax. This will give you a smooth wear spot. Finally, put a glaze over the whole piece. If you are going to put books on the shelves, remember to wait until you are certain the paint is really dry first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS