Walnut Weather Station Weekend Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
This has been something that I have wanted for as long as I can remember. My grandparents had one on their wall and it was the thing that I wanted most when they passed away. I was not able to get it and that was OK. So on a trip to The Hardwood Store Of NC last weekend I bought a piece of walnut and ordered the instruments from WC thanks to someones ideas here. This weekend I decided to piece it together. I hope you enjoy looking as well as I enjoyed making it. I used tung oil, poly, and Johnsons paste wax for the final shine. Seemed to work well together.

Constructive criticism is welcome.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
That looks really good, Tracey. I've always been a bit interested in the weather. I might consider that for a project for later this year.

Nice job. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

TracyP

Tracy
That looks really good, Tracey. I've always been a bit interested in the weather. I might consider that for a project for later this year.

Nice job. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thanks Reggie:wsmile:

TracyP

Tracy
The women folks said it would look good between the fireplace and TV, So that is where it is for now. It may get moved later.

The good thing about the instruments from WC is they can be rotated into any position so the location does not have to be permanent.

M

McRabbet

Nice job. While the women folk might like it between the fireplace and the TV, don't expect it to give you any realistic readings! The fireplace will cause warmer temperatures readings when used (or even with just a pilot light running if it has gas logs) and the TV will also cause a convection cell due to its heat generation. I'd move it to a wall position away from drafts, vents and sunlight, but otherwise still aesthetically pleasing. MTCW

TracyP

Tracy
Nice job. While the women folk might like it between the fireplace and the TV, don't expect it to give you any realistic readings! The fireplace will cause warmer temperatures readings when used (or even with just a pilot light running if it has gas logs) and the TV will also cause a convection cell due to its heat generation. I'd move it to a wall position away from drafts, vents and sunlight, but otherwise still aesthetically pleasing. MTCW

Thanks Rob, Pilot doesn't run unless we need heat or just want the ambiance of the fire. Gas valve stays off to conserve energy (money).:rotflm:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nice project Tracey! also agree with the others that it would probably be more functional in a different location. Looks great there, but you'll likely get false readings.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
They really turned out nice, Tracey!!:wsmile::wsmile:

I am kinda partial to the walnut (with the brass), though. I have made a couple of these for relatives. Need to make one for the old homestead - here one of these days!

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

Bryan S

Bryan
Looks good Tracy.

I picked up the same kit from Woodcraft a while back. I haven't done anything with it yet, but finally got the right size bit for boring the holes.

TracyP

Tracy
Looks good Tracy.

I picked up the same kit from Woodcraft a while back. I haven't done anything with it yet, but finally got the right size bit for boring the holes.

Thank you Bryan, that 2 3/8 hole saw is slow to drill into walnut. Of course mine came from the borg and probably wasn't the best quality. I will say that the instruments fit perfectly in the 2 3/8 hole.

And a sincere thank you to all who have responded. Criticism is still welcome. That is how we learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors