Walnut Mantle Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayban

New User
Ray
I'm working on a fireplace surround and mantel and will be making the mantle out of walnut. Problem is, the mantle needs to be 9 - 1/2 or 10 inches deep, 72 inches long and 2 inches thick minimum. You'll be able to see the top and portions of the bottom. I have a stock of walnut in different thicknesses and widths that are certainly long enough. However, I don't have any that are 9 - 1/2 or 10 inches wide. The thickest boards I have are 8/4 rough cut.

Has anyone tried gluing planks edge to edge as well as on top of each other to get a block thick enough in this length? I could glue like a long cutting board with the boards standing on end-grain but that doesn't exactly give the look I want. I could go buy a slab thick enough to use in one piece but that would be expensive and seems silly since I have around 500 board feet of the stuff in my shop. I'm thinking of planing 4 boards down to about 1 inch thick by 4 - 1/2 inches wide, and then gluing the 4 together to get my thickness and width. At that point, milling a trim band to go around the edges and hide the seams so that it finishes off the slab.

Has anyone tried this and what success or failure have you had? I know expansion and contraction is a concern but it will be free floating off the front of the fireplace surround and only attached near the back. Thanks for any comments, suggestions or words of experience.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've never been able to successfully glue walnut laminate without the glue lines showing either, so I'd build it as a box with mitered corners.
Your plan should work, but it'll be really heavy, don't you think.

SRhody

New User
Stacey
A couple of years ago I pretty much had the same challenges. I ended up making my own moldings and layered (built from bottom up). The covering layer hid all mounting hardware and left enough of a floating space that we never had any issues with wood movement.

Mantel_6_.JPG

View image in gallery
Mantel_10_.JPG

View image in gallery

Mantel.JPG

View image in gallery

View image in gallery

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I like the idea of layering it out staggered like Stacey did with different molded profiles (great job Stacey, btw,) but if you go with the built-up solid block idea, there's no need to use good wood in the center core. You could use a secondary wood or build the core as a box of plywood and cover that with 1/2 to 1" thick walnut. That would solve both the weight problem and the wood movement problem as the ply won't be subject to wood movement.

- Ken.

Jeff

New User
Jeff

Rayban

New User
Ray
Thanks. I hadn't thought of doing it that way. Since it's exposed on portions of the bottom as well, I could probably substitute on layer of ply with a bottom layer of walnut. Here's what I'm trying to build (provided it uploads...).

Attachments

• Play Room 5 with flat cross member.png
    Play Room 5 with flat cross member.png
    244.9 KB · Views: 162
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS