Walnut Bed

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Quite a while ago, I bought some Black Walnut from Jeff. Nice wide boards. My wife had plans for a Walnut bed, and something else. Well, here is the bed I have finished assembling, and started putting finish on it. This has 1 coat of Danish Oil so far. Sorry for the crappy picture, I'll get some better ones in the next few days. I took the time to use a single very wide board for the panel in the middle, and cut it to preserve the grain pattern. It's hard to tell in these pictures though.

IMG_4882.JPG

IMG_4884.JPG

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Beautiful Clay!! It looks like you have some nice crotch feather in some of those board. I like the way your oriented the panels and keep the grain continuous. How did you do you legs? I might be making something similar soon with some QSWO :eusa_danc

Dave:)

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
I believe your great work has given me the added push to talk the wife into building her a bedroom suite out of black walnut. That is GORGEOUS!

J

jeff...

Wow That's a very nice headboard Clay, one of a kind. King size? I'm very happy the BW worked out for you.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Clay that looks great. The first pic, I thought "that's nice, but the second pic...Wow! It shows that you have some beautiful wood there! Good job and good for Jeff on finding some gorgeous wood for you!:icon_thum

clowman

Clay Lowman
Thanks guys. I'm shooting for at least 5 coats of oil. Doing the wet sanding between coats as suggested via jglord, Art and a few others of this board. After only 1 coat, it feels smooth as a baby's butt. There are a couple of knot holes in the top and bottom pieces of the headboard. I was going to fill them in, but my wife said.. don't, I like it just like that. The panels in the center is one board cut into 3 pieces and separated by the 2 vertical pieces. I sweated that measurement. I only wanted to separate those panels with a single saw blade's width of grain loss. Didn't want to screw that part up. Those legs are 3 pieces of stock glued together. I was shooting for 3inches square, but planned a bit too much off one end, so now they are about 2 3/4 square. I added a champer on the outside edges. I tried to pick out some good looking boards for the outer pieces of the legs.

Oh.. that's a queen size headboard.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Good job and good for Jeff on finding some gorgeous wood for you

I'll agree on that, he told me when I talked to him on the phone, that it was some nice looking wood. I'm 110% happy with this wood.

T

toolferone

Well done Clay. You did a great job showing off that beautiful wood.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
It looks very good Clay. I've never been satisfied with glued legs using walnut. How did yours come out and what's your trick?
Joe

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Pretty work, Clay! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Great stock selection - I like the way you matched up top, bottom, and center panel areas of grain swirl. Very nice.

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Clay, that's a walnut wowser!
You created a beautiful piece and should be proud each time someone looks at it :icon_thum

Roger

clowman

Clay Lowman
I've never been satisfied with glued legs using walnut. How did yours come out and what's your trick?

I can't claim any all knowing trick. Matter of fact, this is the very first walnut piece I have ever made. With that being said, Each leg is glued up from the same board, ripped and folded over on itself. I can't say the glue lines on the legs are invisible, but they look ok. I just made sure I turned a face piece of the wood toward the front of the bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS