Vega Duplicator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notorious T.O.D.

New User
Todd
Hi,
I am new to this site and this is the first topic I thought I might post about and get some help. I recently purchased a Vega Duplicator for my lathe and was wondering if there are any users of these duplicators on this forum and if I could get some tips and advise as the directions seem a little lite... I have it mounted on a General 260 with riser and have it aligned and have turned some basic dowels in sizes from 1 1/4 inch down to 1/4 inch. Now it is time to move on to making some more useful turnings...

Best,
Todd

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Welcome! I think Mshel (Michael Shelley) had one at one time, but I don't know if he ever got it going or not.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Todd, welcome to the forum :eusa_clap. I don't have a duplicator, but I've thought about getting one. Let us know how it runs once you get it going. Also when you get a chance, pop on over to the "Who we are" forum and let us know more about you. It also, helps qualify you for our discount program! :icon_thum

Notorious T.O.D.

New User
Todd
Well, so far I have to say that it is very impressive. It is very well built and well designed. I got mine used off Ebay but it looks to be very lightly used and was missing a couple of small fasteners for the chain which guides the duplicator head. These were available from Vega but I made my own from a couple parts from the local hardware store. I also sharpened up the cutter a little just to make sure it was good and sharp.

I am now thinking about getting the thin spindle turning attachment or perhaps both sizes. These seem like they would be good additions but I really don't know for sure if they are needed. I would love to have some feedback from someone who has used the duplicator or these attachments.

Accuracy seems very good so far with my limited knowledge and ability with the unit. I have turned a number of different sized dowels for use in my wood threader and the size can be held to a couple thousandths. It also can take a very robust cut as the design moves the cutter into the cut from the side in most cases and does not apply much force perpendicular to the turnings axis. I think that the optional carbide V cutter would be a good option if one is doing a lot of duplication or working with very hard woods.

My interests in addition to the dowels is in turning table legs, windsor chair parts, and spindles for chairs and perhaps railings.

Best,
Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS