Using Router Template Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick7938

New User
Rick
I am about to tackle my first project using a router template guide. I have used pattern bits and flush trim bits for years, but never a template guide.

My question: My bit is 1/4" carbide spiral bit. I have a choice of a template guide with 9/32" ID or 1/4" ID. Does it matter which I use? I will be using a PC plunge router for the cuts. I am afraid that if I use the 1/4" ID guide that the spiral bit may scar the inside as I plunge. Any reason for concern?

I will be routing along the outside of the master cutting 1/2" MDF in 2 passes to create the template. Then I will be using the same bit and guide to cut along the inside of the template to duplicate the master. I only have access to the master for a day, so I can't just copy it multiple times with a pattern bit, not would I want to chance damaging the master.

Any hints?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You need to use a template guide with a bigger ID than your router bit. To me, 9/32 is too close, I would want a 5/16 or 3/8" inside diameter.

I would definitely use MDF or Baltic birch plywood so you have no voids.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
What is the original template set up for? If you are using a bushing then the template should be smaller than the final cut out piece. How smaller should determine the size of your bushing. If you are copying a part and want to make a template of it, your best best is to use a bearing guided flush trim bit. Keeping the template the same size as the final part eliminates a lot of potential mental frustration.

I may not be understanding your question, and if so please forgive me.

Dave:)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What is the original template set up for? If you are using a bushing then the template should be smaller than the final cut out piece. How smaller should determine the size of your bushing. If you are copying a part and want to make a template of it, your best best is to use a bearing guided flush trim bit. Keeping the template the same size as the final part eliminates a lot of potential mental frustration.

I may not be understanding your question, and if so please forgive me.

Dave:)

A pattern making bit works well too.

rick7938

New User
Rick
Your're right, I may be making this project harder than it needs to be, but if I break that marble with a router bit, I will never hear the end of it. I think that I will just photocopy the piece of marble, cut out a piece of MDF using the copy as a pattern, and use my files and sandpaper to perfect the template.

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes I just have to bounce ideas off someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS