Using prepared wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
In all of the furniture and cabinets that I have made thus far, I have used rough cut lumber in which I prepared the lumber myself. I have on occasion worked with lumber that had already been planed down to size. I am today preparing side panels for a kitchen cabinet in which the lumber has already been planed on one side with the opposite side rough. The boards are at 3/4". Some of the boards have a slight rock when cut to rough length and placed on a tabletop. How would I approach this when gluing up a panel?

yanmarman2007

Jody
Corporate Member
you may like to face joint the lumber and plane it down further. If your material is to wide for your jointer, just rip it into, joint it and glue up. When I make RP I plane the material down to roughly 5/8 thick. I hope this helped. Jody

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Jody, I thought about that. What I am making is a large base cabinet with two doors and a pair of drawers at the top followed by an attached top cabinet with shelves. I am accustom to making dados for my shelves and making the dado 1/4" to the 3/4" side. I could still do that process only make it less of a dado. I was just interested in how others do that. I made two nightstand a while back out of mahagony and that was also planed down to 3/4" but the pieces were flat. I have glued up two panels that look good in the clamps. I will take them out of the clamps and see if it is something that I can use if not I will start over and follow your suggestions. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS