Using Oak for turnings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening all,

I was thinking about using some of the red or white oak I have to make bottle stoppers or possibly some platters for fruit..My question is this. I have been told that Oak is not a very good turning wood. Is this true just for small items, spindles and such? Or does it hold true for all turnings?
Thanks,

Tony ...

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Oak is turned all the time. Look at all the furniture that is made of Oak. The pedestals, spindles, knobs, etc. are all turned. The problem with Oak is the open grain. In a small turning those pores will really stand out. But the grain pattern in Oak is very pronounced and can result in some spectacular patterns on a turned piece.
If you got it turn it, it will be nice :icon_thum

Dave:)

BobN

New User
Bob
I've turned some Red Oak. Have done a few tables that had turned legs and have also done a few bowls. Can't say that I had any problems doing it. The only problem I can think of is when turning wet Red Oak bowls they tend to crack when drying out a little more than some other woods.

Bob

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
I cannot say that I am an experienced wood turner, but a couple of weeks ago the first thing I ever turned was a small oak bowl from a scrap of very dry Red Oak. I'm sure a more experienced person could have done better, but I am very happy with the results and I have a place to put my keys and loose change now.

Found Oak lying around is easy to locate. All I can suggest is to try.

dozer

Mike
I have turned red and white oak. It actually turns pretty good as long as you keep your tools sharp and don't try to make heavy cuts.

tonyps

New User
Tony
Thanks folks... I was curious about it, so thought I would ask. I attended a refresher class, the guy kept mentioning over and over, do not use oak...
So, think I'll try turning some oak...
Thanks again,

Tony ...
:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS