Urn box WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolferone

New User
Tom
As stated in the 2 poll threads I started, I am building a box to hold a friends ashes. He to was a woodworker and my mentor at Freud. Anyway nothing like short notice. Less then a week. Started Monday and the finish has to be dry by Friday morning. Also worked 3 days in there.

I called the funeral home to find out the size box I needed. I decided on sapele and maple, with the maple a nod to his home country Canada. I will have to get the dimensions later. I milled the wood to 5/8" thick. I stopped at Klingspor to by the sapele and asked Vetteman9956 (Brad) if we could burn the Canada maple leaf for me in to a 2" diameter maple piece. He went one step better and inlayed a redheart leaf into the maple disc! Thank you Brad! Box is biscuit joined miters, a 3/16" groove around the bottom to hold the 5/16" maple bottom. I routed a bevel in the maple. I did not want any plywood in this piece. I remembered to mortice for the lock before I glued up the box. Would have been a real pain to do after DAMHIKT! I used a simple ogee bit for the top and bottom molding. I used a standard bevel 3' raised panel bit on the sapele top panel. I had to mortice the hinges fully into the box because the lid hangs over the hinge. Construction wise, I have to mark and mount the hinges to the top then mark and install the pin for the lock. I have a small brass keyhole plate to put on after the finish. I am hoping to get a coat or two of finish on before I leave for work at 11 tomorrow morning. Then when I get back from work tomorrow night I will put another coat or 2 on. I am thinking of using a rattle can poly. I want some of the amber oil color. I inlayed a penny in the bottom to mark the year and I wrote in the date he passed away and signed it.

The box is sitting on a block of wood in the pic.

box_top.JPG

box_bottom.JPG

box_lock.JPG

JohnW

New User
John
It's good that you have the talent to honor your friend and mentor, and give a little back. Kinda completes the circle I'd say. Really nice work Tom.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Nice work as always, Tom. I'm sure the family will be grateful for your contribution.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
That is an awesome tribute, Tom. Brad's maple leaf is outstanding.
I turned an urn and read quite a bit about such things. Not exactly light reading, but the can and can'ts are important.
Simple dimensions/ space requirements were not the easiest thing to come by. The first funeral home I spoke with was
less than forth-coming with help. Less so after they found they were not doing the cremation. Go figure -

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Very nicely done and a loving tribute to a friend and mentor. Celebrate his life and the memories.

BTW, funeral urns/boxes are sized by the weight of the individual at the time of death. Cremation will produce x cubic inches of ash so the box is sized accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors