UniFence on a Grizzly G0690 Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWSmith

New User
David
I recently purchased a Grizzly G0690 table saw with a sliding table. I like the saw and the sliding table works smooooothly but the fence, IMHO, is a real POS.:thumbs_do No matter how much I adjusted the fence I could never get it to stay square and the deflection at the end was a kick in the teeth. When locking down the fence, it always moved right 1/32" which I found to be totally unacceptable and frustrating beyond belief. :BangHead: I had hoped the fence would be at the same level of quality as the saw but I was in error.

I received a circular from Woodworkers Supply recently. They have the UniFence marked down to 1/2 price and with my pro discount, the $244 price tag was hard to resist. So I bit the bullet and got the U50 fence and extension table. (The U30 is sold out.):dontknow:

All in all, with installing the supports under the table, I was able to have the old POS removed and the new UniFence installed in about 4 hours taking my time and working through the details. The blot pattern for the Grizzly is exactly the same as the Delta, (made in the same plant?), so I was able to slide the new rail on and have it bolted down much quicker than I expected. All I had to do was get a longer bolt for one hole and it fit like a glove. Now I believe I have a fence that is up to the task and ready for work. :thumbs_up
DSC_0090.JPG

View image in gallery

Did I mention it took all of 5 minutes to get it square and ready for use? :gar-Bi

Cato

New User
Bob
Congrats on your fence install David. Unifence has always had a lot of happy campers that had it on their saws.

I've had fence issues that I have lived with for a while on my Ridgid saw, so I got a Delta T2 fence last week in hopes it will solve the same jump issue you had.

I'll have to drill some holes and be careful in the process but I think it will be worth the trouble.

Also have considered the same Grizzly model you got, but without the slider. Sorry your OEM fence didn't work out.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I totally love my Unifence. Got mine with the table for $99 back when Lowe's was blowin' them out awhile back.

On a side note, the space in your shop makes me drool...:jealous:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
You'll love it. I bought my 90s Delta contractor saw partially because they had a really good deal if you opted for the Unifence. Since that time, I've only re-calibrated it once - when I moved to my current house and had to re-assemble the entire saw.

However, the unique shape makes design of jigs and sleds challenging. I wanted a taller fence without sacrificing the use of the built-in rule / gauge. I ended up with this design:
http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/bigafence.html

It looks like the fence extrusion is the same design as mine, so it may still work on the newer models.

Chris

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
grats on the fence. I have one that came with my saw but didnt realize it was something I could flip until recently. Now I really am loving it, hehe.

IMHO the Unifence is one of the best fences out there. If you really want to add some additional function to your new fence, take a look at this:

http://www.ptreeusa.com/uni_t_fence.htm

Mark, Do you know if the petree one is exact same width as the unifence so that I can use the measuring lines? Only thing that bugs me about the unifence is the odd shape so that It's hard to clamp on sacrificial fences and jigs.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
You'll love it. I bought my 90s Delta contractor saw partially because they had a really good deal if you opted for the Unifence. Since that time, I've only re-calibrated it once - when I moved to my current house and had to re-assemble the entire saw.

However, the unique shape makes design of jigs and sleds challenging. I wanted a taller fence without sacrificing the use of the built-in rule / gauge. I ended up with this design:
http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/bigafence.html

It looks like the fence extrusion is the same design as mine, so it may still work on the newer models.

Chris

Very nice, Chris.

I see 2 obvious advantages to your design.

First is that your fence is 3" taller. Good support for upright cuts.

Second is the cost. The Uni-T-Fence is a bit pricey at $80 to $90.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Very nice, Chris.

I see 2 obvious advantages to your design.

First is that your fence is 3" taller. Good support for upright cuts.

Second is the cost. The Uni-T-Fence is a bit pricey at $80 to $90.

The height works out pretty well - It does a good job stabilizing pieces 12-18" high when doing them with just that fence and no other supports. It also provides a big sturdy surface for a sliding jig. I use one for cutting tenons on the end of shorter pieces (less than 3 feet long).

I thought I would not want the big, heavy fence on there all the time so I made it very easy to remove (just loosen 2 nuts through the top). But I've almost never taken it off.

And yes, a few scraps of MDF and 2 carriage bolts were pretty cheap :>

Last edited:

Skymaster

New User
Jack
I just bought that uni t setup to try, been lookin at it a loooong time cause of price I will give my humble opinion of it after I use it for a bit. I also got the rollers and featherboard.
:gar-Bi

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Mark, Do you know if the petree one is exact same width as the unifence so that I can use the measuring lines? Only thing that bugs me about the unifence is the odd shape so that It's hard to clamp on sacrificial fences and jigs.

Sorry, Steve. I missed this part of your post earlier.

The Uni-T-Fence is the same width as the OEM fence so no adjustments are needed to the fence scale.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I have a uni-T fence that I bought but is just collecting dust. Literally never use it. Got board buddies etc. for it. Anybody lookin' for a deal let me know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS