Turning speed Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
I know that some where otu there is a formula for figuring turning speed. How do you guys figure your speeds? I am interested in your opinions.

Thanks Mark

Rob

New User
Rob
If it's real out of round, I start slow and once round, speed up to a confortable speed. I usually never go over 1000 rpm's.

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
The slower the better for sanding...heat is your enemy! As far as turning speed, usually determined by the pucker factor, but you shouldn't to turn at more than 1000-1500 as Rod said, and usually slower for larger pieces. Remember the larger the piece the faster the outside is spinning.

reprosser

New User
Rick
Assuming you are asking about turning bowls and such (spindle work is usually done at faster speeds)

My lathe won't run below about 600 rpm, so that is where I usually stay. I sometime turn up the speed to overcome vibrations or to remove waste wood quicker. My sanding is always done at the lowest speed.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
From a machinist point of view it is simply a matter of determining the surface feet per minute of the object being cut (or the cutter, which ever is turning).

I don't have my Machinist's Handbook with me so I'm working from memory. Getting worse every year. :rotflm:

So I think wood is recommended to be cut at around 1500 surface feet per minute. Softwood slower and hardwood faster.

A simplified version of the formula is RPM = (4xSFM) / Diameter in inches

So, let's say you are turning a 10 inch bowl at 1500 SFM.

Then 4x1500= 6000 / 10 = 600 rpm or to simplify further you could divide 6000 by the diameter in inches to get RPM.

2" = 3000
3" = 2000
4" = 1500
5" = 1200
6" = 1000
8" = 750
10" = 600
12" = 500
14" = 420
16" = 375
18" = 330

Mark Stewart

New User
Mark
You know I was a machinist(CNC only) and I never had to do any of this calculation. The machine did it for me.:rotflm:I caint find the keyboard of the floppy drive on this darn lathe. No auto pilot either.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Speaking of sanding - have any of you guys ever done any wet sanding on your green turnings - I seen it done on a video and I tried it awhile back up to 400 grit and it worked pretty good

PChristy

New User
Phillip
You get wet/dry sandpaper and a wet paper towel and keep the wood wet while sanding - it doesn't cause any heat - try it see what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS