Triton router power switch repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Yesterday I went to start my router (TRC-001 in a table) and got nothing. After pulling it from the table and starting to diagnose, I noticed the power switch was not lighted like it should be when plugged in. After removing the switch, I opened it up to find a lot of wood dust in it. Not a sealed switch...design FAIL! Note: they changed to a switch with a dust boot about a year after the model was introduced, so recent buyers will not have this problem.

I cleaned it out, but then scratched my head for quite a while trying to figure out how to get it back together. The switch has 4 loose parts in it along with two springs that have to be positioned just right to put it back together. Basically for each of the two lines there is a rocker and a ball bearing which is captured in place by the end of the spring. Sorry...I didn't remember to take pics until I was putting in the last few screws. Either the balls or the rockers have to be in the top piece (with nothing to hold them in place) when the switch is reassembled. I'd be interested to see how it is assembled at the factory. I ended up using bearing grease to hold them in place for reassembly. But that seems to be a bad idea in close proximity to the contacts (that could arc), so this is a short term fix. It worked well enough to complete my task for yesterday...and how much oxygen can be in that little space?
:confused:

I've contacted Triton for a replacement and I'll update when I get it.

Chris

JohnW

New User
John
Interesting post Chris...I've had this router in a table for +3 years with no such issues. I do vaccum it from above after each use but have never taken it out to check. Will be interested to know what Triton's recommendations are for the switch.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Interesting post Chris...I've had this router in a table for +3 years with no such issues. I do vaccum it from above after each use but have never taken it out to check. Will be interested to know what Triton's recommendations are for the switch.
I've had mine for a lot longer (maybe 10 years?), but I'm glad to hear that yours has no problems (presumably with the improved design) .

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Im sure you will hear from them...great customer service. I have had mine in a table for 8 yrs.....great machine. I thought everything was sealed and dust free?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
The response to my email inquiry was to replace the switch assembly and the cover that goes with it, for ~$37 shipped. Seems pricey for what should be a $5 part (that should have been used in the first place). Now I'm thinking I'll just see how long it goes before giving me trouble again. If I need to clean it again in 10 years...well, there are other things I'd rather spend $37 on. Now that I know what I'm doing, it is a 15-minute job.

I don't consider this excellent support. IMO this is mediocre support. :(

TDeal

Tim
Senior User
The speed control went out on my Triton router while still under warranty. They could have sent me the part, but had me send it to a third party repair center. Even though I told them I was dead in the water, they took about 5 weeks to get it back. I wasn't impressed with their customer service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors