Trimming Pen Blank ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
How do you pen turners trim the ends of pen blanks that use the large tubes like the JR Gent II and other large pens? I have the barrel trimmer kit that has several different sizes but none that will fit a tube where the blank has been drilled with a 12.5mm bit. Is there a method other than with a sander?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I take a slimeline pen tube, and mount a cheapo blank on it and turn that down to the ID of the larger pen tube. Then that can be used as a bushing with your standard 7mm barrel trimmer.
This is a good use for those half good pens, where one half decided it didn't want to stay together :icon_thum
Dave:)

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
Same thing Dave said, except I used the handle from a discared foam paint brush. Hey, it was free.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I take a slimeline pen tube, and mount a cheapo blank on it and turn that down to the ID of the larger pen tube. Then that can be used as a bushing with your standard 7mm barrel trimmer.
This is a good use for those half good pens, where one half decided it didn't want to stay together :icon_thum
Dave:)

Now why didn't I think of that. :BangHead:

Thanks Dave.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I like to use the white bread board stuff.
Turn round between centers and drill 1/4" for the 1/4" milling shaft.
cut slightly shorter than the tube I need it for.
Set up two of these.
Using the bushings from the desired kit I set up a mandrel with the breadboard stuff and turn to the diameter of the sleeves.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I like to use the white bread board stuff.
Turn round between centers and drill 1/4" for the 1/4" milling shaft.
cut slightly shorter than the tube I need it for.
Set up two of these.
Using the bushings from the desired kit I set up a mandrel with the breadboard stuff and turn to the diameter of the sleeves.

Great idea:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS