Tried a little Purpleheart

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Here's the latest pen. The wood is purpleheart, but it isn't as purple as I would have liked. I think someone said to set it in the sun for a while to get the purple to show up, so I'll have to give that a try. I also turned a bottle stopper, but I didn't get a pic of that yet.
pen003.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Great looking pen, I like the styling :eusa_clap Yep, set it out in the sun for awhile, turning it for even exposure and you will get the purple color back soon, or just wait it will come back on it's own over time.
Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Indeed the sun will darken the color and an occasionl"suntreatment" will keep it that way.
BTW.Fuming with acid prior to finishing will turn it cranberry but CA will not stick to it.I have not tried any other finishes using this method.
If after fuming with acid you fum it with ammonia it will turn an ugly black and CA will still not stick to it and you will have a mess.
(DAMHIKT)
Not crazy about the bump but to each his own.That is the beauty of slim lines the ability to experiment.
MAnufacturers should offer a mix and match CB to allow for different versions of the same basic design.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks guys, I used Mylands Friction Polish on this pen. I tried using CA on another pen and ended up with a mess. I'll have to practice on that some more!

Eaglesc, I am not 100% sure about the bump either, but it does give my lady some nice hips!:rolf: I'll probably change the design up a little in the future.

dozer

Mike
Great job on the pen Ed. Just keep trying new things especially with slim lines like Eagle mentioned there is just so much you can do with them. Keep up the good work and don't forget to take more pictures.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Thanks Mike! It is really neat to have a project that can be completed in such a short period of time. Got a couple more to play with and I'll get pics as soon as they are ready!

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Like the design and color as is, and think you did an outstanding job on this pen.

Not only is design and color unique, this pen may hold a bit of mystery!

Will your pen really turn totally purple when exposed to sunlight, or just that side facing the sun?

In any event whether you keep, give away, or sell your pen, should have an interesting story to go with it! That story could be more fun than making the pen.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hello Wildwood! Thanks for the compliments! This is my first experience with purpleheart, but my understanding is sunlight and/or time will really bring out the purple color.:dontknow: I made a plane jane pen for my wife with the PH, so we'll see what happens!

P Crews

New User
Paul Crews
Ed, nice pen. I think the design is interesting, in a good way. I have a question about the purpleheart. Was it easy to turn? Will the purple come out no matter what finish you put on it?

Paul

nelsone

New User
Ed
Hi Paul,

This was my first experience with the PH and I am pretty new to turning, so I don't have much experience to compare to. I thought it turned quite nicely and machines nicely too. As for the color, I think the color can be "reinvigorated" by exposing the wood to sunlight. As to the finishes, I'll have to defer to those with more experience. Best advice I can offer is to get a small amount and play with it, use it in some small projects and see what happens! Good luck on the adventure!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I agree, PH does turn very well. I have made many things out of PH and used several different finishes. Everything that I have made has regained it's purple color after being finished. I've used shellac, lacquer, BLO, poly, CA, and combinations of all of them.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS