Treadle lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Now that I have my own garage bay for a shop, I'm entertaining the idea of building something I have wanted to build for some time, a treadle lathe. I have 2 plans from St Roy, plus other resources around the net. I like Roy's frame design, but even he admits his flywheel is too intricate in his first design and I think I have a better design for a crankshaft rather than bending bolts for his crank arm.

I'm looking for critique on my spindle design. Roy recommends hammering and filing out a drive spur on a bolt with the threads cut off. I'd rather have something a bit more flexible and professional. At one point, drive spurs were available for 1/2" shaft, but it seems no longer. I have however found spurs used on ShopSmiths that will attach to a 5/8" shaft. Also there is a adapter fitting which is threaded. I figure that would be about $48 for both the drive spur and chuck adapter, but the actual spindle shaft would be cheap.

Some of the resources on the web recommended using a spindle from a Craftsman lathe that was available from Sears parts, although no one ever specified the model. I have found one that was available. It occurred to me that Grizzly has some of the best parts services available. Sure enough, I was able to find several spindles available as parts. This has a huge advantage because it gives me a morse taper and a threaded end that could handle a chuck. It may be more challenging to mount though because most spindles don't appear to have the same thickness throughout. I would like to use pillow blocks to hold the spindle since I can adjust them more easily to align the shaft. The one I am thinking of is here http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0462/parts/1 Part 33.

I think I like the idea of using a lathe spindle of common size and TPI since I will be able to use just about any parts.

It's kind of funny that the cost between these works out to be almost even.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Re: Can't critique your design

I can't critique your design, but I know if I were doing this that I'd like to be able to use modern accessories. So buying the 'Critical' parts is certainly the way I would go.

Keep us up to date on progress on this project. I may never make one, but I do find it interesting.

Henry W

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
sounds intriguing
hope you will post pictures through the process
if building for use more than historical accuracy then the best available parts would be the way to go. I love the thought and have often pondered a treadle or spring pole lathe

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Thanks for the encouragement.

I'll definitely take pictures. I'm bad about that, but now I have an internet enabled phone with a camera, so I will have a easy way get pictures and post them.

Roy is more of a historian than I am. I am just interested in human powered machines to do my work. I sit in front of a screen all day.

I also like the idea of doing this as my exercise. If I had a choice of turning a bowl a day in my shop or running on the treadmill in a gym with a bunch of meatheads in spandex, I would chose turning the bowl. Also the mental exercise of figuring out how to do this is even more fun than the physical exercise.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Bryan, you need to get in touch with John (02blues). I built a treadle lathe and has done some fantastic work off of it. He's in your neck of the woods.

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Thanks Ed,

I found a few pictures of his spring pole lathe and it looks like he has a chuck of some sorts in there. I'll PM him about it.

Bryan, you need to get in touch with John (02blues). I built a treadle lathe and has done some fantastic work off of it. He's in your neck of the woods.

cptully

New User
Chris
A friend of my wife's from high school built an all wood treadle lathe several years ago and was producing beautiful results! I wish I had pictures to share, I'll try to get in touch with him and encourage him to join and post pictures.

Chris

02blues

New User
john
Wow. have not been here in a while and ran across your post!
#1: foot powered lathes are AWESOME! My humble opinion. Would be happy to show you mine or let you have a "spin".

#2: Thanks for remembering me.

#3. I made Roys Spring pole and is does a great job.

4# in order to turn my 7ft bed posts I had to design my own. Plan was to make it a treadle but did not get it right and it turned into a spring pole and worked just fine.

Anyway. be glad to give my 02 cents if you want to talk.
DSC_0692.JPG

View image in gallery

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Awesome,

I've been meaning to look you up.

The biggest thing I have been thinking about lately is the headstock. I like the idea of being able to use modern attachments like chucks and face plates in addition to drive spurs. That requires a modern spindle.

Really, since your drive shaft is the piece itself, I guess you can make both sides tail stocks. I've been looking that too because I may want to drill something, so it would be nice to have something to accommodate a live center or a chuck.

I hope I can adapt a quill and spindle from a modern lathe to do what I want. I just need a long enough spindle to fit in the headstock. Like I said, Grizzly has great parts lists. When I get closer to buying, I may see if their tech support would answer a few questions for me about some of their spindles.

Right now, I am mostly planning because I have another house to sell before I can start spending big bucks.

Would you mind revealing what went wrong with the treadle design? It looks like you were using a cantilevered fly wheel. I was worried the shaft may not be able to hold that longterm without starting to bend. I want to do a flywheel somewhat like this http://lumberjocks.com/Texasgaloot/blog/5929 but instead of a bent shaft, I will mount another smaller "gear" at the end of the shaft that would attach to the treadle. Gear is probably not the right word, I'm not very mechanical.

02blues

New User
john

Well...planning is just as important as the work you do so I say do rush anything. (hard for me esp toward the end...that why I LOVE to finish.. NOT)

Its been a while since I worked on this but there where two main issues the were burned into my cerebellum!
1. if you don't drill the hole at 90 degrees before the spindle mechanism is attached you have a problem. Since I don't use power tools a bit and brace can be a challenge esp when a good size hole is being made.
2. getting a secure connection on the spindle that turns the drive shaft. Needs to be 100% no slip or you loose mechanical energy.
3. The wood wheel is ok but not in love with it.

Have thought of other ways to achieve the same and will likely try on Mr. # 3 Lathe.

One concept I am particularly interested in is one the The Don Weber the Bodger and blacksmith from Paint lick KY used in one of his article on a trip to South America I think..
He is one of my 3 idles (with Roy U. and Chris Schwartz)

http://woodworking.com/ww/Article/The_Bodger_of_Paint_Lick_Kentucky_6118.aspx

Involves the use of a bicycle gear so you get uni direction travel- spin. An inline spring provided the recoil (the bike gear allows the drive shaft to go backwards while the work spins forward 100% of the time.). I have dissected an old bike but have not deployed yet.

OK More info than you wanted and a few more photos!
Best of luck. Let me know if you have questions.
PS: Good old "Froglips" has built a MONSTER lathe for his dad and has a real wealth of mechanical(and universal) knowledge!

PINGING Froglips... ... ... ... ... ...

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Short video of John's lathe in action

[YOUTUBE]IoxdmXYHiNg[/YOUTUBE]

CatButler

New User
Bryan
I know what you mean about drilling 90's with abit brace. That is why I kind of like what this guy did

http://www.mimf.com/articles/lathe/index.htm

With a treadle and fly wheel providing the power instead of a motor. Roy's result is more attractive, but I like being able to shim the pillow bearings to account for any wood movement or my lack of skill.

me-msahib

New User
Milissa
I agree about using a common size / TPI. This is a problem with using ShopSmith parts, I think.

Had to google pillow block. So a fresh glass of wine! :eek:ccasion1 Sadly, it's just a bearing. HOWEVER, it looks good, mainly since it can mount to your lathe. The usual ball bearing apparatus would be hard to mount.

What kind of speed can you get from one of these? For my small stuff, the lathe is usually run at 3000 rpm (except when cutting threads and the like).

If I were going to make a treadle lathe, I would probably try an old sewing machine base and weight the fly wheel. I don't make table legs and the like, though: just short stock stuff.

Interesting and fun to think about. Even if pillow blocks are just bearings.

Thanks.

Milissa

CatButler

New User
Bryan
Thanks, from what I have read, they can reach about 300 RPM. I'm going off of a Roy Underhill design and following a few people who have tried it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS