Travis and the Three Gloats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Travis was a woodworker who lived near the mystical forest of Craigslist. Craigslist was a beautiful but treacherous forest however it was also one of the primary sources for gloats which are highly prized by woodworkers. One beautiful day Travis, armed with cash and protected by knowledge and wisdom from his fellow woodworkers, decided to brave the dangers Craigslist and went hunting for gloats.

After wondering through the twisty paths for some time, Travis came upon Baby Bear who had a large collection of universal string trimmer attachments made by Ryobi. The bear wanted to sell all of the attachments at the same time but Travis couldn’t afford them all and really only needed the edger. After some discussion the bear offered to sell Travis the edger attachment alone for $25 and the price was just right.

edger.JPG

View image in gallery

Travis left Baby Bear and soon came to a clearing where Mamma Bear was cleaning out her garage. She had just purchased a brand new air compressor and no longer needed the 2HP Craftsman that had served her for so long and was selling it for $125. Despite its age Travis knew it had a lot of life left in it as an North Carolina Woodworker friend of his had the same trusty model. He offered $100 and Mamma Bear agreed the price was just right.

Earlier in the day, before he had met the other Bears, Travis had briefly spoken with Papa bear. Papa bear had a 20 inch DeWalt Scroll Saw for sale for $250. It was an older type 1 model that had a bit of minor wear and tear but was in good working condition. Travis asked about the saw but Papa Bear had told him that several other woodworkers had already asked about the saw and were on their way to look at it. As Travis was on his way out of the forest with his edger attachment and air compressor he again passed Papa Bear who still had his Saw. Papa Bear said “The others never showed up! The saw is still available and the price is negotiable.” Travis replied “I’m still interested and I appreciate your willingness to negotiate as times are tough. What is your best price?” Much to Travis’ amazement and surprise Papa Bear replied “How about $100?” After recovering from shock Travis quickly agreed that the price was JUST RIGHT.

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
HAHAHAHA, nice tale and scores bro. :icon_thum You SUCK!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Brian.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bear hunting out of season is against the law. I will help to protect you by hiding the scrollsaw until things cool down in maybe 10 to 15 years.

Travis you stole them.............:tool::tool::tool:

CONGRATS

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Bear hunting out of season is against the law. I will help to protect you by hiding the scrollsaw until things cool down in maybe 10 to 15 years.

Travis you stole them.............:tool::tool::tool:

CONGRATS

Heh, but you've already got two scroll saws in that shop of yours! I think I'll be ok.... ;)

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Heh, but you've already got two scroll saws in that shop of yours! I think I'll be ok.... ;)

Yes he does and one of them is yeller - that's why I told you parts would be easy to find if yours needs a minor repair. :rolf:

You done pretty good on the other pieces, but the DeWalt deal is smokin' hot!

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
DW788 for $100? :swoon:
Somebody call Deputy Fife!
If you need a blower attachment to go with your edger I've got one. An extra edger too.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
:rolf: :rolf: :rolf: :rolf: Great story Travis. And congrats on those scores!

Charlottend

New User
Brian
Congrats and great deal on the saw. I got a type 1 on a similar CL situation and didn't know how lucky I was until everyone here told me. Mine had enough rust on the table to sink a battleship though :)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Venturing in to the mystical forest of Craigslist turned out good for you, but whatever you do steer clear of the dark and forbidden lands of the darkside. Many a good woodworker have unwittingly journeyed there, only to discover there is no return.

As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, three travelers, men of flatside, emerge from the forest shadow. Fording the River named round, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the darksider. Even now the intensity of his dread rounding power can be felt, weakening the wallet and saddening their wives. Ultimately they will become empty, mindless spinners, stripped of scrub plane and square, only their thirst for large heart wrapped flitches gives them hunger for vengeance..

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Venturing in to the mystical forest of Craigslist turned out good for you, but whatever you do steer clear of the dark and forbidden lands of the darkside. Many a good woodworker have unwittingly journeyed there, only to discover there is no return.

As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, three travelers, men of flatside, emerge from the forest shadow. Fording the River named round, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of the darksider. Even now the intensity of his dread rounding power can be felt, weakening the wallet and saddening their wives. Ultimately they will become empty, mindless spinners, stripped of planner and square, only their thirst for large heart wrapped flitches gives them hunger for vengeance..

It may be too late for me Jeff. I've already got a lathe waiting to be cleaned up in the corner......

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Fitting that the story ended with a golden reference (nice scroll saw).

Man, nice gloats all around! :gar-Bi

Chuck

Glennbear

Glenn
Obviously your bargain hunting abilities are only exceeded by your story telling skills. Congratulations Travis. :wsmile:

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Obviously your bargain hunting abilities are only exceeded by your story telling skills. Congratulations Travis. :wsmile:

Thanks...

Unfortunatley they might be FAR exceeded by my storytelling skills. As mentioned, CL can be a dangerous place and Papa Bear, it seems, was trickier than our intrepid Hero expected. The damage to the housing wasn't as "superficial" as I'd thought. By the time a got looking at it last night the speed control had stopped working. Took the housing off and it was holding together by a thread (having been "fixed" just enough to get it to pass initial inspection:BangHead:), the pot had been damaged pretty bad. Sooo, now it only runs at one speed.... When it does run it seems quite smooth and quiet so I don't think there's damage to the structural bits but I'll need to do some further testing. I ordered about $100 in replacement parts so it will still work out to a pretty good deal if all else is well. Truth is, at $100 if the seller has been completely forthcoming I probably would have still bought it given it's otherwise good condition figuring I could fix it up (I'm pretty good with a soldering iron) and still come out ahead. Now I just wonder if there will be any more surprises.....

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Great gloats! I, too, have been hunting gloats, but I must be hunting in the wrong forest. I have seen potential gloats, but on closer inspection they are either much too old, too worn/damaged, or too valued by their current owners. Nonetheless, yarns such as yours give me hope that one day I will successfully find and capture a gloat of my very own.

Cheers,
:eek:ccasion1
Donn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS